Light-box story

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 5 March 2006 9.39pm
The piece on the light box on top of the Tabard Square tower is unrepresentative of the thread it refers to.

Within the thread, most people are for it but the feature says "Opinion about the new beacon - which has been tested in recent days - has been divided. Some users of the London SE1 Forum have expressed concerns about the use of energy and the light pollution implications of the illumination. Other local residents have found the bright light intrusive."

I'd say at least two thirds of repsondents were happy with this addition to SE1. The story would be more balanced if it inclued their opinion too.
Monday 6 March 2006 6.48am
I agree, and having read it assumed James was being polite to Ms Jo.
I thought at least 95% were in favour.
Monday 6 March 2006 9.57am
Point taken and noted, but I think on balance I'd stand by the choice of words. "Opinion ... has been divided" makes it clear that a range of views have been expressed, and the thread itself is just a click away. A good number of users have commented on light pollution and energy use in one way or another. And it's fair to say that Ms Jo isn't the only resident to find the light intrusive.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 6 March 2006 6.44pm
Fair enough, it is your site - and a very good one it is too.

I'd just say that the choice of those divided opinions quoted in the story only reflected the minority dissenters - those who see it as a waste of energy and those who find it intrusive.
Monday 6 March 2006 11.41pm
I've just totted up the following from the people who have posted in the relevant thread (though difficult to decide where some people fall because they have expressed a range of views):

Firmly dislike: 2 (including me, and even I like some things about it!)
Mostly dislike: 3
Mixed or 'on fence': 9
Like: 8

So its fair to say that opinion has been divided, but there is more like than dislike.

Even within individual peoples' postings, opinion is divided! In fact that's where most of the division occurs.

BTW, londonist.com had the barometer beacon as their top story the other day, and admitted to blatantly stealing James's photos.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: