Is it really necessary?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Jac
Thursday 30 November 2006 1.27pm
For people to keep picking up others on their spelling and grammer in posts both here and in the other sections of the forum. We all make mistakes and some of us are just not that good at spelling.
Thursday 30 November 2006 1.32pm
Agree. In addition, some of us are foreign and writing in a second language
Thursday 30 November 2006 1.36pm
I've never picked up on anyones spelling.

PS You spelt grammar incorrectly.
Thursday 30 November 2006 1.38pm
Jac wrote:
For people to keep picking up others on their spelling and grammer in posts both here and in the other sections of the forum. We all make mistakes and some of us are just not that good at spelling.

But some of the mistakes are really basic.
Thursday 30 November 2006 1.47pm
I'm more interested in what people have to say than whether they can spell perfectly.

I think it would be helpful if there was a little less nitpicking.

But that said, I do think people should take care over their contributions to the forum.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 30 November 2006 1.48pm
wjfox2004 wrote:
Jac wrote:

But some of the mistakes are really basic.

and? I agree with Jac's point - do we really need to keep on correcting people when they misspell something? Let's face it, everyone makes mistakes every now and then. Should it not be sufficient that the meaning is understood? It's not like we're trying to write a thesis or a piece of business correspondence here. Having said that, they very often contain some very basic mistakes as well.
Thursday 30 November 2006 2.11pm
The only observation I would like to make on this subject is that no-one should use txt 'language'. Though many [younger and hipper than I] may use it regularly it's not [yet] universal and it's bloody irritating to try to decipher.

I know, I'm showing my age....

harrumph.
Thursday 30 November 2006 2.27pm
Jane - i agree, it p1ss me rt f stpd fn txt fyh nu4 r8iuj ne1 str8 !

so there!
Thursday 30 November 2006 4.03pm
Spelling and grammar (From Forum Rules)
We encourage forum users to maintain a high standard of English. Text-speak should be avoided.

Spelling errors in thread titles will be corrected, both to maintain the standards of the site and to facilitate use of the search facility.

Please do not post thread titles in all lower case (eg 'where can i find a plumber?'). If a thread title doesn't have an initial capital letter we will edit the message.

One letter or dot out of place when writing HTML can have disastrous consequences.
I often check a word in the dictionary before posting but a typo surely is not a problem,
and I have no objection to anyone educating me if I spell a word incorrectly.
Thursday 30 November 2006 4.29pm
One of my pet hates is "your" instead of "you're" and vice-versa.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: