Reviews

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 21 June 2007 6.12pm
As a regular forum user and a local who is interested in the area and most importantly where to eat, I am becoming increasingly annoyed at bogus restaurant reviews by people who write gushing reviews for new establishments, who when you check their profile, only signed up on that day to post that review. It's rare to have a superb review, especially for a new curry joint or Chinese take away with no Michelin stars! Use discretion and trust the Goldfish.
Friday 22 June 2007 12.41pm
It's a difficult one. I'd like to encourage more people to post more reviews but I'd like them to be genuine!

I do monitor the reviews posted and if I can detect a link between the reviewer and the establishment I do 'hide' the offending reviews from public view.

If there is no firm evidence to suggest that the review is not genuine I sometimes give the poster the benefit of the doubt.

It's very depressing that there are so many unscrupulous people who feel the need to promote their own businesses in this way.

A while ago I was talking to a marketing consultant who cheerfully admitted that he advises his clients (including restaurants) to register on sites like this and post fake reviews.

To regular readers/users of this site: Please do head over to the restaurants, pubs and bars section and post reviews of your favourite restaurants, cafes, coffee shops, greasy spoons, sandwich bars etc.

It doesn't have to be a long essay, just a couple of sentences is fine.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: