Changes to this site

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Friday 29 June 2007 10.24am
Today, for the first time, I'm getting a big block of advertisements on the left of the page when I use this site. Am I alone in thinking this spoils the look and feel of the forum?
Friday 29 June 2007 10.29am
I'd be interested to hear what other people think.

I'm not 100% sold on it myself; it's an experiment to see what difference it makes to the performance of the ads.

I'll most likely swap the column back to the right hand side either tonight or on Monday.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 29 June 2007 10.35am
James, it's AWFUL. Sorry, but first of all this "wide screen" format means that the last half of the postings are off to the right of the screen and off my field of vision so I keep having to move the slide bar along to get a clear view. Terribly annoying.Er...if it werent broke, why fix it? But then, what do I know?
Friday 29 June 2007 10.47am
Hmm. It sounds like your screen must be set to a fairly low resolution (or be fairly small).

Do you have a Favorites panel or similar on the left hand side of the screen that's taking up screen space?

Are you using AOL's own browser software? I am not familiar with its layout.

Current stats show that 95% of users of this site have monitors with high enough resolution to show the whole width of the site without horizontal scrolling.

But it's a fair point that the main page content should be visible on lower-resolution monitors without scrolling; and that's probably reason enough to swap the sidebar back to the right hand side.

Friday 29 June 2007 10.54am
That looks better...
Friday 29 June 2007 11.05am
I thought I'd pressed a wrong button and moved the columns!
I do prefer the ads on the right of the screen - easier to ignore!
Friday 29 June 2007 5.41pm
It was very annoying having the ads on the left hand side - much better now it's back to normal imo.
Wednesday 18 June 2008 11.22am
James,

probably not 'on thread' but I've been experiencing interesting visual effects on this sight recently.
I'll open a thread, or news item, and the pic will appear and then it'll carry on loading and then the screen will go blank for a short time and then refresh with what looks like a blank page, but all the relevant information (ie news or thread) is now below all the standard right hand side stuff.

I seem to recall someone mentioned it being screen width, or maybe url links that were too long, or something.

it's just happened on the Tesco OKR development news page.

[edit] - and it's the same with the 'thank you for posting' page
[/edit]

Cheers

Jon
Wednesday 18 June 2008 11.25am
Hmm. That's odd. Anyone else seeing the same thing?

Wednesday 18 June 2008 12.51pm
I'm using Windows Internet Explorer Version 6.0
if that helps
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: