Image size

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 15 July 2007 10.55am
James, just an observation, but while your photos of Waterloo Carnival are excellent and crystal clear, I was wondering if they need to be 150k +. You obviously have a quality camera and I'm sure making them around 50k wouldn't impact unduly on the quality and people like me wouldn't mind dowloading 2mg of imagery.
Even that LSE ad on the right is only 46k
OK I've been putting off buying a new computer and getting broadband waiting for any glitches in Vista to be ironed out.
Maybe it's time I upgraded - yes, I'll do it.
Monday 16 July 2007 10.55am
Thanks for pointing this out. It looks like I've been outputting images without any JPEG compression. I'll try to find a happier balance between image quality and file size.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 18 July 2007 11.32pm
Now that photo of Ken beside the tram appeared instantly. Agree there is a loss of resolution but perfectly acceptable I think and it stops anyone nicking your original and using it elsewhere.
Thursday 19 July 2007 10.09am
That pic is probably not the best example as it's one from the archive that's been recycled.

This is a better example of a recent pic where I have applied more compression and kept the file size down:

Does that load OK for you?

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 19 July 2007 1.42pm
Yes, appeared in a couple of seconds and excellent quality.
It's only when there are several photos each of 150k on the same page that loading is slow. Although this wouldn't be an issue for anyone on broadband. BT sent me the broadband modem package a few months ago but I'm still waiting to choose a decent new computer before installing.
Please don't compromise quality to accomodate people like me who should be using the latest software.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: