Property issues

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 7 August 2007 11.54am
May be my imagination, but there appear to be an increasing number of posts in the SE1 section about renting / buying, where to, who to go to etc. Is it time for a separate section for this, perhaps allied with queries / recommendations for trades people and services?
Friday 7 September 2007 10.14am
I'd be interested in other people's views on this too.

I am coming round to the idea of a property forum section, though I wasn't keen originally.

I am hesitant to make tradespeople recommendations more prominent as I fear that a (semi-)stand-alone section may attract even more spammers and liars than we have to deal with already.

I think some other kind of ratings mechanism is probably the way forward for trades information.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Jac
Tuesday 11 September 2007 12.08pm
Tricky I can see your point James re spaming. However I also agree with Janefs that I can find it a bit irriating trawling past all the looking for a flat etc to find the posts of more interesting discussion type. Especially if you have been away for a few days. also I used to reply to looking for a good builder with a recommendation but found that they started to come up so often that i was just posting the same thing over and over again.

Another thing I was wondering if you can help with is. If you are away for a few days and looking at the message list over a couple of pages and on viewing a post say on page 2 you then press messgae list it takes you back to page 1. so then you have to click on page 2 again. I try to remeber to use the back key rather than message list but then you can not easily see the messages you have and havent read. Is it possible to change it so that when you press message list it takes you back the the last page you were on?
Jac
Tuesday 11 September 2007 12.13pm
Sorry obviously don't have enough work to do! How about a forum section along the lines of can recommend or Can you recommend a ....? A section that you can seek or give recommendations for anything such as solicitors, trade people, restaurants etc. I guess it may produce more spamming but would keep the SE1 discussion section more discussion.
Tuesday 25 September 2007 10.53am
My irritation with the 'find me a flat / house / estate agent / carpenter / dog sitter' type post is that all too frequently the poster takes the lazy approach and does not appear to have bothered to use the search facility first. From there they could start with a PM to find out if someone used any of the recommendations and what their latest experience was. So perhaps a separate section into which these pleas could be entered or moved may be the best way to deal with them. However, apart from the process of filtering the inevitable 'spammers and liars', I admit to having little understanding of the extra work this requires on the part of the moderator!
Tuesday 25 September 2007 11.24am
Leaving the tradespeople question aside for a moment, it seems to me that there are two types of property thread.

A) Discussion about the state of the market, experiences of agents, good places to look. Discussion is the operative word.

B) Announcements from people looking to make a specific buy/sell/rent/letting transaction. This isn't a discussion, it's a notice. It ought to be handled via the classified ads section. It's transactional, not a debate.

What I'd like views on:

if we hive off type B to the classified ads section, do people think type A merits its own forum section or is that OK mixed in with general SE1 discussion?

Or continue as at present but ban "Looking for a flat" type threads?

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Jac
Tuesday 25 September 2007 1.27pm
Simple answer as as far as my opinion goes is A is ok in the SE1 discussion for the time being at least although it can be frustrating if they are asking the same thing over and over agin in new threads as janefs states in her post. But B should not be in discussion A classified section for that type of post may prove useful for some of the forum users, so a shame to ban it completely.
Zoe
Tuesday 25 September 2007 8.11pm
Maybe we could have a noticeboard, so people can put flat wanted and flats on offer notices on, along with dog sitters etc.

Tradespeople recommendation is different, as we all benefit from knowing about good local tradespeople.
Thursday 4 October 2007 10.28am
What do we still use estate agents to sell our houses ?
Monday 8 October 2007 10.49am
I totally agree that there are just too many "flat wanted" postings, and if the Forum is going to turn into a glorified Gumtree, Loot or whatever, I'm off. I DO think there's a case for an accommodation section, although I fear that every estate agent for miles will be on it and cluttering it up. This will mean poor James accepting and refuting all day so it's a problem. But last time I tried to ask if someone wanted my flat I was ticked off by James, and then there was a glut of "Looking for a flat" posts, so the I was the one who got snippy. Maybe there just has to be a referral by James to the local estate agents.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: