Chavi, the slang Romany word for youths

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 9 October 2007 5.00pm
Good Day to you all...

This is just a comment with regards to the title of article "Chavi at the Novas Contemporary Urban Centre" to say that "chavi" is not Romany slang... but the Romani-Gypsy word for "child"... Unfortunately, the word has been hijacked as "chavs" by certain elements of today's youth which have nothing to do with the People from whence the word stems. Just as a little way of cleating up misunderstandings before the occur or go any further.

Kind regards,
M V Smith
General Secretary - Gypsy Union
Tuesday 9 October 2007 5.05pm
Thanks for the clarification. I've removed the reference to 'slang'.

Best regards,

James

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 9 October 2007 5.25pm
Dear Mr Hatt,

Many thanks for your reply and for the speed in which you have acted as regards this.

May I say that if there is anything that you may wish to or need to know with regards to the Romani People in any regards of news and views, please do not hesitate to contact me at the Gypsy Union.

Kind regards,

Michael
Friday 19 October 2007 7.30pm
>>Long used as a derogatory label for working class youths

I'm not aware that etymologists have come to any sort of consensus on a Romany origin for this word. Other suggestions are:

Council Housed And Violent

CHeltenham AVerage

CHeap And Vulgar
Thursday 25 October 2007 7.51pm
The Mapmaker wrote:
>>Long used as a derogatory label for working class youths
I'm not aware that etymologists have come to any sort of consensus on a Romany origin for this word. Other suggestions are:

Council Housed And Violent

CHeltenham AVerage

CHeap And Vulgar

Chatham average is definitely the original, the Cheltenham Ladies (College) picked it up and used it for the local lads.
Thursday 8 November 2007 11.40am
Oh yes. I suppose that the Romany people picked it up when they were passing through Chatham?

...if you press it, they will come.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: