Dinner Party Club

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 1 of 18
Jac
Thursday 15 January 2009 11.51am
As a result of Andrew H post Come Dine with me A few people have decided that they like the idea of hosting dinner parties but not with the competitive edge. So we are going to try get the idea off the ground.

The basic principle will be to take it in turns to host a dinner party for 6 people, providing the venue and main course. Two others will bring the starter and dessert either fully or partly prepared and the other will bring wine to go with the meal. some liason will take place so that the courses dont clash and the wine can be matched with the food.

The idea is to enjoy some nice food, wine and company and to get to know each other better and/or make new friends.

For this to work we would ideally like to start with 12 people so that at each dinner party will have a slightly different group of people.

We have at least 6 people interested and a few possibles and have decided that we would meet on Monday 26th January at the Woolpack 7.30pm to discuss the details.

You do not need to be a gourmet cook nor a wine expert to take part, it's as much about making friends and enjoying good company as it is about the food some of us know each other, well others a bit and some not at all. Please add your names to the thread if you are interested and/or come along a week on monday to see if we can get this club off the ground in Feb,

So far we have
myself
Mr Jac
Juanita
Shandie
lisa J
Chavander
Gillian
andrew H? (come on leave your competitive streak behind or judges us secretly to yourself)
Thursday 15 January 2009 2.34pm
Please add me!
Jac
Thursday 15 January 2009 3.06pm
Will do Laphroaig with jonR and mrs R that makes 9-10 of us. so we are getting there.

Anyone else?
Thursday 15 January 2009 3.49pm
I thought you & LisaJ had persuaded Mybeerdrunksoul last night to participate?
Thursday 15 January 2009 8.10pm
Great so 26th suggestion seemed to be ok. Looking forward to this!
Thursday 15 January 2009 9.41pm
I'd love to do this but would have a job seating 6 people at a table in my flat. If there are other ways I could still participate I'd definitely be interested. Maybe I should come to the meeting and discuss?
Thursday 15 January 2009 10.25pm
Just one question with couples in the club, how would this work, taking their turn to do their mains, etc would be fine, but if there is enough people to swap from group to group, what would happen to the couples then and what about the implications of hosting the event at the same location for each of the individuals. Mr N (signed up to the forum now) and I would be interested. Its a great idea but would like to see how the discussion developes.
Jac
Friday 16 January 2009 9.30am
Nomad - good to have you and Mr N on board. I think the issue with couples is one of the things to discuss in more detail, do we want to split them up all the time, non or some of the time? I have been trying to work out a simple rota to see how the swoping groups might work, which would see couples together some but not all of the times, depending on how we want to proceed we might need to work out another way of doing the rota, but we can discuss this at the meeting and see how everyone feels. Are you and/or Mr N available on the 26th?

The draft rota would see everyone doing one element f the dinner party once over a period of 6 months, so as long as we can get 12 people who are willing to commit at least in principle for 6 months we should be ok,.

I think there are quite a few details to sort out, what night of the week etc What do we do about individual likes and dislikes food wise etc but again this would be easier to sort out in person when we are together. I think the hardest thing will be trying to sort out dates that we are all free and hope this doesn't prove the stumbling block.

Unladylike - Thats tricky as the idea was we do take it in turn to host the dinner party, and depending if andrew H can put aside his competitive streak, we may be up to 12 ( although that doesnt mean someone wont drop out0. Maybe if someone cant make a particular party, you could step into their role (as long as they were not host), by all means come to the meetings as someone else might have a bright idea .
Friday 16 January 2009 10.30am
Jac, We might be able to come to the meeting, but I would probably not be able to stay too long. I'll see what we can do! Is the venue in Bermondsey Street?
Jac
Friday 16 January 2009 10.58am
nomad wrote:
! Is the venue in Bermondsey Street?

Yes
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 1 of 18

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: