Do You Enjoy Cooking and Eating with Friends? Then why not come dine with us

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 1 of 9
Jac
Friday 14 August 2009 4.46pm
If you enjoy cooking and eating with friends then this could be for you. We are a group of SE1ers who meet in groups of six, approximately once a month in each others home to enjoy good food, wine and company.

We take it in turns to host the dinner party and contribute, either one of the courses or the accompanying wine to the meal. As we all contribute to the meal, it has the fabulous advantage of spreading both the cost and the work involved making it a great credit crunching social activity.

When we started just over six months ago some of us knew each other quite well. However, there were also those who did not know anyone. We all soon made new friends, so don't let “not knowing anyone” stop you!. The groups vary from month to month so it is a great chance to meet up with different people.

We will be starting the next round of dinner parties in October (omitting December) so now is the best time to join us. If you would like to know more let us know here or PM me and I can give you send you more details.
Friday 28 August 2009 4.27pm
Hi Jac

I love cooking, second only to eating and drinking. I also have a low burning interest in wines, especially grapes of mixtures I've never had.

Can I join your club?

If so, do you have a dates and venue listing.

Many thanks and best regards

Declan
declan88@onetel.com
Tuesday 1 September 2009 1.38pm
Hi Declan - Jac is on holiday till the end of this week with Mr Jac and the Jaclets, but just to give you an idea, the following is roughly how it works:

jac spends some time putting together a monthly "rota" listing who does what in which month. Currently, there are 2 groups going and she's managed to slot them all in. The person hosting makes the main course and organises the date with all the others that are on the rota in the same group. There is hence no fixed date or venue. Basically, we meet roughly once a month in different groups.

Oh and the most important bit is that you can indeed join!
Tuesday 1 September 2009 2.34pm
What Tattie says, but also - there are currently about 15 of us, the two groups are of 6 each, so each month some people 'sit out'. The groups change every month, so you don't end up always with the same other people. If the numbers get to 18, there will be 3 dinner parties a month (6 people at each).
hopefuly it works so that each person does each job once in 6 months - the jobs are: Hosting (which includes making the main course meal), Starter, Starter wine, Main wine, Dessert, and Dessert wine.
You need to prepare enough for 6 people, so with the wine, usually that's two bottles. As none of us have the expence of the whole dinner party, it means that each person can spend more for their parts, than they might normally if doing so on their own. this means that the whole thing tends to be on a slightly higher level.
We are looking for new members, so yes please do contact Jac.
Tuesday 1 September 2009 6.27pm
Dear Tattie and Jon

thanks for your replies.

Firstly (or is that secondly?... Aaaanyway) thanks for the news I can join. That's great. So is there a link to the menu bit somewhere or past menus so that I can gety an idea of the type of thing other people have done. And Tattie, yes I would come any other links etc you might have.

October sounds good. Hmm have to dust off the heart warming recipes.

Hope to hear soon.

Declan
declan88@onetel.com
Wednesday 2 September 2009 11.02am
Have a look at the "Dinnerparty Club" thread - no idea how to link it though....
Wednesday 2 September 2009 5.03pm
Link here!

Jon neglected to mention that for some reason the dinner parties always seem to end up with single malt ...
Jac
Monday 7 September 2009 9.11am
Back from holiday and delighted to confirm that Declan will be joining the circuit along with some other new faces. Just waiting for one more confirmation and then will sort rota out. Anyone else interested in joining in should get in touch quick for this round but we can always put you on the reserves list if you miss it, so it's never too late.
Monday 14 September 2009 10.46am
Hi Jac,

I think that we met earlier this year at a couple of book clubs. I'd love to do this (along with my husband Mike) so if there is still time please put our names down for October or in the reserves for later on if it's too late. Thanks for organising.

Una
Jac
Monday 14 September 2009 1.17pm
Una I have sent you a pm.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 1 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: