Come Dine with Us in 2011

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Jac
Thursday 11 November 2010 6.46pm
We are a group of SE1ers who meet in groups of six, approximately once a month usually on a Friday or Saturday in each others home to enjoy good food, wine and company.

We take it in turns to host a dinner party and contribute, either one of the courses or the accompanying wine to a course. As we all contribute to the meal, it has the fabulous advantage of spreading both the cost and the work involved making it a great credit crunching social activity.

Don't let “not knowing anyone” stop you! When we started back in 2009 there was a few of us who knew each other quite well but equally there were also those who did not know anyone. Over time the group has grown and changed, with some people leaving and new faces joining so it continues to be a brilliant way of meeting new people as well as meeting up with old friends. The groups vary from month to month so it is not the same six people at each meal.

It is open for anyone who lives in Se1 to join. We plan a rota for 6 months and will be starting the next round of dinner parties in January so now is a great time to join us. If you would like to know more let us know here or PM me with you email address and I will send you more details of how it works

If you enjoy cooking and eating with friends then this is for you
Wednesday 1 December 2010 2.24pm
I'm not going to make it to most of the dinners this year... It looks like I'm going to be headed due South in about March for an indefinite period. But it'll probably be to hard for you to factor me into the schedule for only 3 months, so just move me over to the reserves list, please. x
Jac
Tuesday 7 December 2010 10.53am
Still a couple of places available. Do get in touch if you think you may be interested and I shall send more details to you, we have several new members joining already, whom look forward to meeting. The new rota will be sent out at the end of the year.
Jac
Monday 3 January 2011 7.04pm
The new rota for the group has been emailed today so do get in touch if you do not receive it. We are lucky to be welcoming several new people to the group I hope that you all really enjoy it. see you at a dinner table in Se1 soon
Thursday 6 January 2011 4.30pm
The Foodies are meeting on Friday 28 January ... I can hardly wait!!
Saturday 29 January 2011 5.57pm
The Foodies met last night for the first time in 2011. I am now surrounded with my recycling to work out what wine we drank .... all a bit of a haze (hic!).

The delicious starter of haggis wrapped in filo pastry & drizzled with redcurrent sauce was accompanied by a vintage cava from Cordorniu.

The main course was Asian beef casserole (beef cooked with onion, ginger, garlic, coriander, Chinese cooking wine, soy sauce, oyster sauce, rice wine vinegar & beef stock) accompanied with hot & sour shredded salad, tangy parsnip & potato mash, and spring greens.

We managed to polish off 2 bottles of Cru Bourgeois Haut Medoc from Chateau Barreyres 2007, plus 1 bottle of St Emilion Grand Cru 2006 from Chateau Grand-Pey-Lescours.

The dessert was a French version of trifle - no custard or jelly but home made biscuit, crumbled & layered. The trifle was accompanied by 2 dessert wines - a red dessert wine (apologies, Alan, I cannot find the label) & a Cossart Gordon Harvest Madeira 2001.

The meal was rounded off by a selection of cheeses & chocolates. All food & wine was consumed - surely a sign of fantastic dinner party! Thanks to my fellow Foodies for a most enjoyable evening.
Sunday 30 January 2011 5.43pm
The winos met last night for a good evening of food and wine and conversation.

We had some fizz on arrival - Prosecco Sestiere Castello 4357.
STARTER. Individual Goats cheese and pepper parcels - using puff pastry and served with a dressed rocket salad. Delicious. We drank Solera Reserva Amontillado Sherry and Chablis.

MAIN. Halibut with Chestnuts, capers and Buerre Noisette sauce. It had brussel sprout tops and new potatoes. We drank Sauvignon Blanc (Calvet)

DESSERT. A lovely chocolate cake with a middle layer of fresh cream and raspberries. We enjoyed Pink port, Moscatel de Valencia, Rutherglen Muscat and 2001 TROCKENBEERENAUSESE CHARDONNAY - Hohenleiten - a light Austrian.

It was a great evening - thanks to all for making it so!

Kevin
Sunday 30 January 2011 5.43pm
The winos met last night for a good evening of food and wine and conversation.

We had some fizz on arrival - Prosecco Sestiere Castello 4357.
STARTER. Individual Goats cheese and pepper parcels - using puff pastry and served with a dressed rocket salad. Delicious. We drank Solera Reserva Amontillado Sherry and Chablis.

MAIN. Halibut with Chestnuts, capers and Buerre Noisette sauce. It had brussel sprout tops and new potatoes. We drank Sauvignon Blanc (Calvet)

DESSERT. A lovely chocolate cake with a middle layer of fresh cream and raspberries. We enjoyed Pink port, Moscatel de Valencia, Rutherglen Muscat and 2001 TROCKENBEERENAUSESE CHARDONNAY - Hohenleiten - a light Austrian.

It was a great evening - thanks to all for making it so!

Kevin
Monday 31 January 2011 5.56pm
An enjoyable Friday night was spent by the Winos, hosted by Mark and Brice. Nibbles included Brice's anchovy twirls and some Sestre Castello Prosecco.

A lovley selection of authentic meats and cheeses included pate, home made tapenade, chorizo, and salad, which was accompanied by two Sauvignon Blancs: Piat Pere et Fils Reserve '09, and a Pierre Chainier of the same year.

The main course was a beef bourgignon served with mushroom and cheese infused polenta and Kenya Beans. This was served with a Domaine Ruet Brouilly , and a 2007 Gigondas

The dessert was home made Brownies and a choice fo strawberry or vanilla ice cream. A 20 year old Taylors Tawney and a Sibarita 30 year old Sherry accompanied.

A most enjoyable end to the week.
Mark
Friday 25 February 2011 10.46am
The foodies met last Saturday. We started the evening with an aperitif - Australian sparkling from Banrock Station Wine of Australia Reserve - Chardonnay & Pinot Noir and moved on eventually to the main meal - a Moroccan Lamb Tagine with couscous semolina - this was accompanied by a Chateauneuf-du-Pape Cave de Montrail 2008, a Zinfandel from California, Stonehenge 2005 and a Syrah from South Africa, Stellenbosh, Jordan, 2006. It was followed by a Hopjesbavarois desert served with Cognac VS and a very enjoyable and merry Saturday it was.
Patricia
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network