Come Dine with Us in 2011

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Plum Wednesday 8 June 2011 10.45pm
Sorry about my absence from Cazza's dinner - my dessert was to have been Baked Alaska with Boozy (Kirsch) Cherries Jubilee which would have complimented the Beef Wellington and the dessert wines a treat. Again, huge apologies to my fellow diners for letting them down. Looking forward to next month. x
Jac Thursday 9 June 2011 11.08am
Josephina wrote:
Hi there, I've just moved into the area and I love this idea. Please let me know if another space becomes available as I'd love to get involved (although I'm not sure I could compete with some of those tantalising dishes you've experienced so far this year! Sounds delish). Jo

Hi Josephina

Its not about competing, its all about enjoying food and wine and great company of course. We are nearing the end of this rota but i am sure the club will continue and we would be very happy to have you on board. I have sent you pm . Hope to meet you soon
JonR Wednesday 15 June 2011 4.48pm
we did starter on Saturday night, and the host said that they'd also done another one on Friday the night before, so they've probably been still recovering, I'm sure they'll post the menu soon, as I can't recall the wines, but the starter was three different home made dips, with a basic salad, and sliced warm pitta. Dips were butter nut squash, butter bean and rosemary humous, and Baba Ganoush (not sure on spelling) - Aubergine, garlic, and tahini dip.
SmartAlec Thursday 16 June 2011 12.20pm
MAY COOKIES

Sorry,
Just not very efficient!
And we were very much held up scheduling it as well!

But here we are:

Kicked off with apératifs of fantastic Champagne Renard Barnier (Spécial Cuvée),...and a Joan Raventós Rosell Cava!

As Jon says, we began with a lovely mezze of Butter Nut Squash dip, Butter Bean and Rosemary Humous, and Baba Ganoush made with aubergine, garlic and tahini for starter, with a selection of salads and warm pitta bread.
This was matched perfectly with 2009 Cavit d'Arcana Pinot Grigio and 2004 East Anglian Shawsgate Neptune.
Always fascinating to try an English regional wine!

Main was Cardomom Crusted Lamb (with Mint and Coconut,
which I almost forgot!), with Tomato and Onion Salad, and Basmati Rice, washed down with 2010 Pierre Chainier Touraine (Sauvignon), and 2007 Jordan Stellenbosch (Unoaked Chardonnay).

For dessert we very much enjoyed a fantastic Chocolate and Pear tart, which was accompanied by an equally lovely 1969 Maury Mas-Mouraine !

Great time had by all I believe!
phoenix Thursday 16 June 2011 1.02pm
indeed it was !
hairyhill Thursday 16 June 2011 7.01pm
MAY GOURMETS

Still more efficient than Una & I.

The Gourmets met last Friday evening. We enjoyed a glass of Sekt (Wilhelmshof, Blanc de Noirs), accompanied by salted almonds, olives and parsnip crisps.

For starters we wolfed down a delicious south-mediterranean salad (speck, sun dried tomatoes, peppers, artichokes, goats cheese, olives and other stuff I have sadly forgotten), accompanied by an unoaked Chardonnay (Domaine de Grezan).

The main course was chicken breasts, stuffed with wild mushrooms, wrapped in parma ham, accompanied by new potatoes and green beans and washed down with a Bourgogne Blanc (Vinifié en fût de chêne, Loron & Fils) and a Pinot Noir (Domaine L'Aigle, Gerand Bertrand)

For dessert we enjoyed a healthy pepper and almond cake with marinated strawberries and marscapone, paired with a choice of a Muscat de Beaume de Venise, 2002 and an Austrian Trockenbeerenauslese (WeinRieder)

Thanks to all for a great night.
VictoriaK Tuesday 28 June 2011 4.38pm
Hey,

The idea sounds great as I've been wanting to perfect my cooking skills for ages. I'm Russian originally so have a few recipies up my sleeve. Let me know if you have any spaces available. Cheers Vic
JonR Sunday 3 July 2011 9.49pm
June dinner part last night, and surprisingly not too late. I have a list of wines in front of me, but as I was a bit squiffy when I wrote it, and the pen wasn't working, you'll have to bear with me...

a bottle of Prosecco (Conegliano)
with some nibbly bites - prawn crackery type things, flavoured crisps, and chilli rice crackery bits.

starter - smoked(?) mackeral(?) pate, with toasted ciabata, cress, and a lemon wedge.
2x Sauvignon Blanc - Glen Ridge, Marlborough.

main - Lamb Kore Lomen (Wagamama recipe) - grilled lamb, with kore lomen sauce, noodles, beansprouts, cucumber, teriyaki and barbeque sauces.
Ariki Reserva Bio Rio Sauvignon Blank 2010
d'Arcana Pinot Grigio 2009

Rhubarb Crumble, custard, cream.
and this is where my writing deteriorates...
Avaldina Palaxxina Moscatelle, and Sauternes 2008 (?)
They were both very nice though
Helen1 Monday 4 July 2011 9.53pm
The June Winos met for dinner at my place on Saturday night. We started off with a glass of J.P. Chenet sparking brut and some home made humous with warm pitta bread.

For our starter we enjoyed Vietnamese summer rolls accompanied by some 2007 Les Perles Viognier Vin de Pays D'Oc. Our main course was a king prawn and vegetable Thai curry, along with a couple of bottles of very nice Italian wine - 2010 Vermentino Lazio.

For dessert we had a lovely carrot, orange and almond cake, complemented by some delicious Torres Floralis Moscatel Oro. It came in a beautiful bottle which I am definitely keeping!

Thanks for being such great company everybody and for bringing such wonderful food and wine! Looking forward to seeing you all again soon.
Jac Tuesday 5 July 2011 8.33pm
To recap for anyone new looking at this thread, we take it in turns to host a dinner party and contribute, either one of the courses or the accompanying wine to a course. As we all contribute to the meal, it has the fabulous advantage of spreading both the cost and the work involved making it a great credit crunching social activity.

The last round of dinner parties in our current rota take place in July. We always welcome new members to the group. The dinner parties will take place in sept, oct , and Nov, then Jan, Feb and Mar. If you would like to be included in the next rota please PM me your email address and I will send you more details.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions