SE1 Book Club 2011

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 16 of 33
nomad Monday 23 January 2012 4.39pm
An exhausting and emotional evening, excellent T.V. for a change : Call the Midwife, followed by Birdsong. Any one recognise the locations in Call the Midwife, we spotted a Wapping street with the statues of the children above the door of a former school.
juanita Tuesday 24 January 2012 2.19pm
jackie rokotnitz wrote:
Hi Everyone. It's my turn to choose books for April:"
So:

1.THE MILKMAN IN THE NIGHT by Andrey Kurkov
This is an absolutely charming book, wry and funny, a whodunnit and a social commentary. THINGs are going bump in the night in Kiev. A strange cat with nine lives keeps reappearing. Semyon has started to sleepwalk and is so disturbed he has to get a friend to watch him and find out where his sleepwalking is taking him. Meantime a young single mother is donating her milk to a mysterious customer, and a couple of widows are living with their deceased husbands in ..er..unusual circumstances. A hoot.

2.THE CAT'S TABLE by Michael Ondaatje. This is certainly partly autobiographical, but is a magical tale of a young Sri Lankan boy from a rich family going to England to school, on an ocean going liner in the 1950s. He and two other boys live in this cut off microcosm of the world with all sorts of interesting and unusual people, many with secrets which are gradually revealed. Told years later by the grown up Michael remembering his child's eye view and the wonder of discovery and excitement while sailing half way round the world...this is a beautiful and exciting book.

3.CALEB'S CROSSING by Geraldine Brooks. An extraordinarily vivid picture of early 17th Century New England, and the relationships between the Puritan settlers and the local Indian tribes..this is a truly beautifully realised story of love and loss - written in a very carefully transposed vernacular of the times, so that it rings incredibly true. The "crossing" is that of a Native American who became the first student at the newly founded Harvard, having "crossed" from his own culture to that of the English settlers through his friendship with a daughter of a minister on what was to become the island of Martha's Vinyard. Gorgeous.

Thank you, Jackie!

For anybody new to the SE1 book club, we meet the first Wednesday of every month in the Britannia pub, Kipling Street 7.30pm.

The books for discussion in February & March are:-
1 February Per Petterson's "Out Stealing Horses"
7 March Armistead Maupin's "Mary Ann in Autumn"

If you are planning to attend next Wednesday, then you get to vote for the April book, which is one of the 3 selected by Jackie.
Marcusgilbert Wednesday 25 January 2012 11.28am
I would like to join your Book Club.Could you tell me the process.
jackie rokotnitz Wednesday 25 January 2012 1.32pm
Just show up at the Brittania Pub in Kipling Street,1st February this month...usually first Wednesday in the month.
juanita Wednesday 25 January 2012 1.59pm
Marcusgilbert wrote:
I would like to join your Book Club.Could you tell me the process.
Hi Marcus, book club attendees start arriving 7.30pm. We usually let the bar staff know where we are sitting, so if you don't spot a pile of books in front of a group, then ask at the bar!
Marcusgilbert Friday 27 January 2012 12.16pm
Please let me know how and when I can join the Book Club
juanita Monday 30 January 2012 10.52am
Marcusgilbert wrote:
Please let me know how and when I can join the Book Club
Marcus, turn up 7.30pm this Wednesday at the Britannia pub on Kipling Street and look for a pile of Per Petterson's "Out Stealing Horses" on the table, or ask the bar staff where the SE1 book club are. You will be most welcome.
JonR Wednesday 1 February 2012 1.06pm
Marcus - there is a pre-requisite; you need to be able to read. other than that we're open to anyone (even though we meet in a pub, we have had under 18s joins us from time to time) We're a nice bunch of people, and we occasionally talk about the book more than we talk about gossip and local SE1 issues.

We started off, many moons ago, chosing different pubs around SE1 each month, to ensure that we had a wider array of people turning up, however it was decided to pick a good pub, and go to the same one every month. One of the reasons that we chose the Brittania is that the food was very nice, large portions, and good value - it also has an impressively large selection of whisky.
Jac Wednesday 1 February 2012 1.52pm
not sure if I am going to make it or not tonight. Will do my best.
jackie rokotnitz Thursday 2 February 2012 6.43am
Last night's vote went to The Milkman in the Night by Andrey Kurkov, so that's the April book. Good to see everyone especially the tall handsome young man pulling pints behind the bar....
Current: 16 of 33

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions