SE1 Book Club 2011

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 18 of 33
jackie rokotnitz Thursday 8 March 2012 10.51am
GREAT book, really good. Sorry I didnt make it last night, no car and pouring rain and Im on my way to the airport. 'what was the verdict on Mary Anne...I didnt like it, the whole LGBT thing is so passe.
JonR Thursday 8 March 2012 12.06pm
A hearty welcome to our two new members last night - I hope you enjoyed it, and come back again.

With regard to next months choice 'Milkman in the night': it was noted that it isn't readily available at a reasonable price (<£5 - even on the kindle it's £7!) yet nobody has posted a solution or other ideas - so we're going to have to go with that choice for discussion in April.

It should be noted for future reference that to make sure that we remain as inclusive as possible to all readers of SE1 forum, the list of book choices that we vote on should all be easily obtainable, and reasonably cheap. Now those are qualatitive words, so we defined them as being; "several new/used copies available on Amazon, or likely to be in a new or used bookshop for less than £5, not out of print, and not brand new and still only available in hardback" .

We hope that these guidlines are not too restrictive, and do occaisionally let the odd book through (as we're doing in April).

As was pointed out last night by one member 'I have far too many other books on my shelf that I haven't read yet, that I want to read, I'm not going to spend loads on another one that I might not even like'

See you all in April.
Jac Thursday 8 March 2012 12.48pm
Nice to see people again and sorry I was too late to meet the new members properly but welcome.

If you get in quick there are a couple of cheaper 2nd hand copies of the milk man on Amazon which with postage come in at around £7. I have not got a copy as new freelance job at the moment, plus evening classes means I am getting very little time to read at the moment, but have ordered snow drops and hope to have that read by May!

So the next person on the list to short list 3 books to choose from, is not dropped in it at the last minute. I make it Hairy Hill (mike) so if I have missed anyone out then please speak up quick.
For anyone who doesn't know how we select books we take it in turn alphabetically by SE1 user name to short list 3 then we vote on which of the 3 choices we want to read at book club. Often the person short listing post a few lines before hand here so we get a bit longer to think about it.
hairyhill Tuesday 20 March 2012 10.21pm
ok, here are my suggestions for June's book (it feels weird saying June):

1) Margaret Atwood, "The Handmaid's Tale"

[http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0099740915]

"In the world of the near future, who will control women's bodies?

Offred is a Handmaid in the Republic of Gilead. She may leave the home of the Commander and his wife once a day to walk to food markets whose signs are now pictures instead of words because women are no longer allowed to read. She must lie on her back once a month and pray that the Commander makes her pregnant, because in an age of declining births, Offred and the other Handmaids are only valued if their ovaries are viable.

Offred can remember the days before, when she lived and made love with her husband Luke; when she played with and protected her daughter; when she had a job, money of her own, and access to knowledge. But all of that is gone now....

Funny, unexpected, horrifying, and altogether convincing, The Handmaid's Tale is at once scathing satire, dire warning, and tour de force."

2) Edward St Aubyn, "Mother's Milk"

[http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0330435914]

"SHORTLISTED FOR THE MAN BOOKER PRIZE 2006 WINNER OF THE 2006 SOUTH BANK LITERATURE AWARD The once illustrious, once wealthy Melroses are in peril. Caught in the wreckage of broken promises, child-rearing, adultery and assisted suicide, Patrick finds his wife consumed by motherhood, his mother consumed by a New Age foundation, and his five-year-old son Robert understanding far more than he ought. Showcasing Edward St Aubynís ability to combine the most excruciating emotional pain with the driest comedy, Mother's Milk is a dazzling exploration of the troubled allegiances between parents and children, husbands and wives. Acerbically witty, disarmingly tender, it goes to the core of a family trapped in the remains of its ever-present past. 'So good - so fantastically well-written, profound and humane . . . it is heart-stopping' Observer 'The bravura quality of St Aubyn's performance is irresistible' Sunday Telegraph 'Wonderful caustic wit . . . Polished yet profound, itís even better than his previous work, and thatís saying somethingí Guardian 'Mother's Milk has the cerebral excitement and piercing funniness of St Aubyn at his brilliant best' Tatler"

3) Christopher Isherwood, The Berlin Novels: "Mr Norris Changes Trains", "Goodbye to Berlin" - although as this is really 2 books in 1, maybe just the 1st half?

[http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0749397020]

"MR NORRIS CHANGES TRAINS

The first of Christopher Isherwood's classic 'Berlin' novels, this portrays the encounter and growing friendship between young William Bradshaw and the urbane and mildly sinister Mr Norris. Piquant, witty and oblique, it vividly evokes the atmosphere of pre-war Berlin, and forcefully conveys an ironic political parable.

GOODBYE TO BERLIN

The inspiration for the stage and screen musical Cabaret and for the play I Am a Camera, this novel remains one of the most powerful of the century, a haunting evocation of the gathering storm of the Nazi terror. Told in a series of wry, detached and impressionistic vignettes, it is an unforgettable portrait of bohemian Berlin - a city and a world on the very brink of ruin."
jackie rokotnitz Thursday 22 March 2012 7.32pm
Read 'em all...gosh, they're all so good in their way. The St. Aubyn books introduce us to Patrick Melrose,which is a treat and whoever enjoys it can go on to all of them so that's an advantage. I guess I'd opt for that one.
chavender Friday 23 March 2012 2.49pm
Not a member, but if 'Mother's Milk' is chosen I can give you a free paperback copy. In fact I have masses of books to get rid of if someone would like to p.m. and can collect books from Elephant area.

http://barcelonavisit.com
Holiday flat in Barcelona
juanita Monday 2 April 2012 4.00pm
"The Milkman in the Night" by Andrey Kurkov will be discussed this Wednesday evening, 4 April, at the Britannia pub, Kipling Street at the SE1 book club, starting 7.30pm.

Sadly, I have a prior engagement that evening so I will not be able to join the book club.
JonR Wednesday 4 April 2012 11.54am
I've not read this book. I may or may not be attending tonight (depends on how carpy my day gets!)
Jac Thursday 5 April 2012 8.18am
Sorry missed last night I was at a Guild of Food writers workshop.

Almost finished snow drops so a head for once what's the next read?
hairyhill Thursday 5 April 2012 6.13pm
Hi, Una & I are away on holiday at the moment so couldn't make last night's book club. Does anyone know if last night's meeting happened? We might have to resort to online voting for June's book.

Cheers,
Mike
Current: 18 of 33

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions