More Come Dine with Us

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
Wednesday 31 August 2011 7.36pm
The new rota for the SE1 Come Dine with Us group has just gone out, so if you are expecting it, do let me know if you do not recieve yours.

We are a group of SE1ers who meet in groups of six, approximately once a month usually on a Friday or Saturday in each others home to enjoy good food, wine and company.

We take it in turns to host a dinner party and contribute, either one of the courses or the accompanying wine to a course. As we all contribute to the meal, it has the fabulous advantage of spreading both the cost and the work involved making it a great credit crunching social activity.

Over time the group has grown and changed, with some people leaving and new faces joining so it continues to be a brilliant way of meeting new people as well as meeting up with old friends. The groups vary from month to month so it is not the same six people at each meal.

It is open for anyone who lives in Se1 to join. We plan a rota for 6 months and the latest has just gone out, but If you enjoy cooking and eating with friends then this is may be for you and we can add you to our reserves list as space sometime come up on the rota.
Monday 19 September 2011 12.56pm
The Winos met at Alison's on Saturday 10 September and a fabulously dining experience was had by all! We had home made mushroom soup with garlic croutons plus crusty baguette to start with, chased down with Prosecco. We didn't manage the 2nd starter bottle of a rose Chilean sauvignon blanc.

The main course was crepes stuffed with spinach & salmon, with a green salad and white wine sauce - well done Alison for her first attempt because they were delicious! We washed that down with a very nice Pouilly Fume.

The dessert was the classic bread & butter pudding made with wholemeal bread (how healthy!) and served with creme fraiche and a delightful dessert wine.

Thanks to my fellow diners for a top night in SE1! I met some old friends & made some new ones which is what the SE1 dinner club is all about.
Wednesday 5 October 2011 7.16am
The Cookies September dinner took place on a glorious summer (dark) evening on 1 October. Some of items on the menu had a last minute rethink to reflect the freakishly hot weather and we had a wonderful feast starting with:

a very tasty wild mushroom risotto with parmesan shavings and accompanied by a lovely Australian Riesling Petaluma (2008)

Salmon en croute with a watercress and creme fraiche sauce, long stemmed broccoli and sauteed baby sweetcorn and sugar snap peas - two lovely chilled bottles of Chablis (2010) were a perfect match. We also sneaked in a bottle of sauvignon blanc.... it was hot, we were thirsty!

Dessert was a gorgeous light summer fruit pudding with amaretto biscotti mixed through the beautifully sweet fruit (the juicy blueberries were my fav) - enjoyed with a bottle of amaretto to accompany it.

There was not much room for cheese and port but we gave it a valiant try.

It was a super evening and reminded me what great fun and great people we have in the dining club - an excellent start to the new rota!

Sunday 16 October 2011 11.50am
The Foodies dinner took place on the same unseasonably hot evening of 1 October as the Cookies dinner. Apologies for the delay in posting, my memories of the evening are of a good night, but some details may be lacking.

The delicious food & wine comprised:

Olives & nuts washed down with Louis Roederer Champagne & German Sekt

A trio of mushrooms: mushroom pate with homemade bread, mushrooms stuffed with cheese, wild mushrooms with herbs. Accompanied by a 2005 Cahors (Chateau du Cayrou)

Slow roasted pork shoulder with puy lentils, red cabbage and crusty sourdough. Accompanied by 2008 Givry (Joseph Drouhin), 2007 Rully (Domaine Faiveley) and 2007 Santenay (a taste vintage label).

Tiramisu and a Von Buhl Riesling

A trio of cheeses from Borough Market.

All in all a fantastic night. Thanks to all.

Sunday 23 October 2011 7.13pm
The October Foodies met last night and we had a truly sumptuous dinner party!

Starter: home made cream of leek soup with parma ham & baguette
Starter wine: 1. Fat Hen 2010 Chardonnay Pinot Grigio Viogner from Australia 2. Lindemans Chardonnay
Main: Rib of beer with Yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes, roast parsnips, brussel sprouts, carrots & green beans.
Main wine: 1. Chateuneuf du Pape 2009 2. Le Pressoir 2008 Cotes de Roussillon
Dessert: Home made pear & almond individual tarts
Dessert wine: 1. La Roulerie 2005 Coteaux du Layon 2. Lyme Bay Winery, Devon Apricot Wine
Sunday 23 October 2011 7.15pm
juanita wrote:
Main: Rib of beer with Yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes, roast parsnips, brussel sprouts, carrots & green beans.
Oops, I mean BEEF, we had Rib of Beef!!
Monday 24 October 2011 10.50am
I've just sent a note to Dinner Club members about a one nighter this Saturday 29th at the Leather Exchange, but of course anyone can book. Its a special to celebrate Diwali, the Festival of Light, and the guys at the LX have come up with an Indian inspired 5 course meal with wine matching each course from Walterloo Wines. COurses include monkfish and proawn curry, squid suffed with salmon, chicken and a veg curry. Dessert to complet. The restaurant will be decorated with candles, and will start with nibbles and bubbles. 47.50pp inc wine.
Monday 24 October 2011 5.29pm
October Cookies also met up Saturday and also enjoyed Roast beef as the main. The complete menu was as follows:

Olive and Pesto pastry bites
Domaine Lazzarini muscat du cap Corse

Smoked mackeral pate with dill and cucumber salad
home made oat cakes
Cloudy Bay sauvignon Blanc 2006

Rolled Rib of Beef with Roasted Beetroot and Onions
Celeriac and Potato mash
purple sprouting broccoli
creme fraiche and horse radish sauce
Albacore McLarenvale/Coonawarra Shiraz 2008

French Fruit Tarte
Domaine du Haut-Rauly Monbazillac 2008

Goats cheese (from very nice Bermondsey Farmers market but can not remember the name) and Crackers
Tio Pepe Fino Muy Seco - Palomino Fino sherry

Thanks to all.
Tuesday 25 October 2011 9.33am
The Foodies also had creme fraiche & horseradish sauce (Delia's recipe) with their main course.
Tuesday 25 October 2011 9.39am
Mine was a variation on Jamie Oliver's horse radish sauce.

ps pure coincidence that both dinner were roast beef. I am sure one of my guests secretly wished he was at the other dinner party as he wanted yorkshire puds!
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: