Consigned to Limbo?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 14 September 2011 6.48pm
This is serious! I moved to SE1 4 years ago thinking it was the place to be - arts, restaurants, music, it seemed to have it all. It does - but only if you are under 35. I am not. I am more the 'Bill Nighy' type of older person! Not fat, well dressed, not too badly off and still alive. However, I seem to be invisible or worse. There is nowhere for me to go and meet anyone who I may 'connect' with. I go to a bar and I'm the eldest by far. I hate to eat go to movies and galleries alone - but where do I go to meet people? Any suggestions?
Wednesday 21 September 2011 11.17am
Have you looked around http://www.50connect.co.uk/ for ideas, or are you perhaps younger-feeling than that? It was set up by the man who, among other things, is Chair of Trustees at Streatham Derby and Joan Club, but that may be pushing it a bit!
Wednesday 21 September 2011 12.02pm
Have you tried www.meetup.com? I can recommend the London Meetup Social Group, which is organised by Ken, who is 52 & lives in Blackheath.
http://www.meetup.com/LONDON-MEETUP-SOCIAL-GROUP-KENS-EVENTS/
Sunday 25 September 2011 7.05am
John, why dont you come to some of our SE1 socials? The book club, dinner club, our Firework Night and our Summer Party all have lots of different age groups. (WE are over SEVENTY for heaven's sake, but that hasnt stopped us having a really great bunch of SE1 chums all of whom are closer to your age than ours).
Wednesday 5 October 2011 8.08am
John - sorry you're feeling low but hope these responses have lifted your spirits - there genuinely are lots of people over 35 who want to do stuff (not ready for the pipe & slippers yet) - agree with suggestions above - suggest you pick a thing/activity/theme you enjoy be it reading, film, scuba, crochet or beer and then Google for local groups related to that and see what happens... I've met lots of people in the area through a variety of activities (many through this lovely forum)and encourage you to dive in... If you find something doesn't fit then try another one... I recommend the SE1 socials... very friendly bunch - fancy a pub quiz?
Wednesday 19 October 2011 9.35pm
Hear hear! I'm definitely over 35 but enjoy the SE1 Socials, the Book Club, the Dinner Party Club - we're quizzing next week Thurs 27th at The Britannia why not join us? Send me a private message or follow the threads on "Socials".
Monday 31 October 2011 7.24am
Hi John, fear not. Just join in the SE1 social stuff. I am going to be 70 this year and have met lots of people through the forum and we are a decent crowd, if I say so myself. I don't think you will be the oldest by far, there are one or two among us who reserve that privilege!

Go for it - you might have fun!

http://barcelonavisit.com
Holiday flat in Barcelona
Tuesday 1 November 2011 2.53am
Hi John
Have you tried going to the Gladstone Pub? If you google it you'll get their website which has the music programme on it. Rory puts on some brilliant bands. They also have the loveliest, friendly bar staff especially Georgia and Tisha. I may be one of their older regulars but I always feel at home and relaxed in there.
They serve food and used to serve amazing homemade cake but sadly not for a while. If you haven't found it it's well worth a visit.
See you in there!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: