SE1 Book Club 2016

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6
Sunday 6 November 2016 8.25pm
I volunteered to post about the next book. In October we had a rather unorthodox method of choosing a book and eventually agreed on No end in sight by Jonathan Hall.
It seems though that the book is now out of print. So....

I suggest that we abandon that choice, although I have a copy if anyone would like to read it (and there was one second-hand copy on Amazon when I looked).

Shall I short-list books for the January book club and we can choose it at Jac's suggested Christmas Social?

2 places for the Grange Lady and Gentleman please!

Clare
Jac
Tuesday 8 November 2016 6.55pm
Yes lets do that Grange lady. As we are not discussing until Jan there will be plenty of time, so its not the end of the world.
Friday 11 November 2016 9.00am
Hi all,

no book club at the end of December, that's fine, makes sense. Also, I can't make the social on Long lane this year, Jac, thanks for offering.

As for book titles, we won't be choosing the January books two months ahead as we normally do, is that right? Is there not a way of having the list at the end of this month? I'm just thinking we'll have more time to both get a copy and read whatever we chose before and after the mad Christmas time. What do you think?

Take care, all.
Nat
Jac
Friday 11 November 2016 9.48pm
Ok so I got a bit confused.

So next book club Is 21st November and we will be discussing the glass castle. In theory Chris should be short listing then but he may be too busy with his new job and his 42 challenge, for book club at the moment, so grange lady can you have your short list ready for the 21 st just in case.

I am after you so will have 3 ready for the december social so we will then definitely have books for Jan and Feb chosen before Xmas. Chris if you get to read this then let us have you choices and I will hold back on mine.

scanellkate. We Would love to see you at the next book club if you haven't had the chance to read glass castle by then do come along anyway and introduce yourself. as always new members always welcome.
Saturday 12 November 2016 9.58am
Thanks for clarifying, Jac!
Everything is illuminated :-)
Saturday 19 November 2016 6.01pm
Oops, realised we have a clash on 5th Dec and would need to leave just after 9.
Saturday 19 November 2016 6.22pm
Grange Lady's book selection list (could be for the January or the Feb book club).

1. Elizabeth is missing by Emma Healy (2014). Debut novel. Just so different to any other book!

'Elizabeth is missing', reads the note in Maud's pocket in her own handwriting.

Lately, Maud's been getting forgetful. She keeps buying peach slices when she has a cupboard full, forgets to drink the cups of tea she's made and writes notes to remind herself of things. But Maud is determined to discover what has happened to her friend, Elizabeth, and what it has to do with the unsolved disappearance of her sister Sukey, years back, just after the war.

2. Second time of proposing this one - an English classic. Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K Jerome (1889).

A travelogue of three friends (and a dog) rowing up the Thames is as fresh today as the day it was written. The boating holiday itself is a pretty ordinary affair. They get lost in a maze, they have problems with food packaging, they get drunk, one of the party is menaced by swans, they have a minor culinary disaster and so on.

3. Another one that has been proposed to the group before: White Tiger by Aravind Adiga (2008).
Another debut novel, transporting you to the world of Indian "entrepreneurship" and the social ties when you come from a poor, small village and move to the City.

On the occasion of the president of China’s impending trip to Bangalore, Balram writes a letter to him describing his transformation and his experience as driver and servant to a wealthy Indian family, which he thinks exemplifies the contradictions and complications of Indian society.
Jac
Tuesday 22 November 2016 12.06pm
Last night book club was the last for 2016. We will start again in Jan discussing White Tiger by Aravind Adiga (2008).

we will however be meeting again for our Book Club Social on Dec 5th at Fine Foods Long Lane at 7.30pm

I have booked a table. If you have not already done so please can you let me know if you plan to come so I can confirm the numbers.

I will short list 3 books to vote on the night for the Feb book club and will will also be voting on our favourite and least favourite book of the year.
Jac
Friday 25 November 2016 6.44pm
Looking forward to seeing those who can make it at the social a week on Monday. Here is the list of books we have read this year for you to make your nominations of favourite and least liked book of the year Feel free to make your selection even if you can not make it to the social.

The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls
Diary of a nobody - George Grossmith
Rituals - Cees Nooteboom
Gods behaving badly
The brief wondrous life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz
A man called Ove - Fredrik Backman's
Carry On Jeeves – PG Woodhouse
The Goldfinch – Donna Tartt
Nine Stories – J.D. Salinger
The surgeon of crowthorne - Simon Winchester
Jac
Monday 5 December 2016 12.37pm
Book Club social Tonight AT Fine Foods Long Lane 7.30pm

Here's the short list for choosing Febs book. I have gone for 3 books I have enjoyed in the past but have since almost completely forgotton. The last was a SE1 book club book but as I am the only person left from when it was read I feel I can put it up again. It also starts in SE1.

Rabbit Run - John Updike

The first book in his award-winning 'Rabbit' series, John Updike's Rabbit, Run contains an afterword by the author in Penguin Modern Classics.

It's 1959 and Harry 'Rabbit' Angstrom, one time high school sports superstar, is going nowhere. At twenty-six he is trapped in a second-rate existence - stuck with a fragile, alcoholic wife, a house full of overflowing ashtrays and discarded glasses, a young son and a futile job. With no way to fix things, he resolves to flee from his family and his home in Pennsylvania, beginning a thousand-mile journey that he hopes will free him from his mediocre life. Because, as he knows only too well, 'after you've been first-rate at something, no matter what, it kind of takes the kick out of being second-rate’.

The World According to Garp - John irving

This is the life and times of T. S. Garp, the bastard son of Jenny Fields - a feminist leader ahead of her times. It is also the life and death of a famous mother and her almost-famous son; theirs is a world of sexual extremes - even of sexual assassinations. It is a novel rich with 'lunacy and sorrow'; yet the dark, violent events of the story do not undermine a comedy both ribald and robust. It provides almost cheerful, even hilarious evidence of its famous last line: "In the world according to Garp, we are all terminal cases.”

The Secret River - Kate Grenville
London, 1806 - William Thornhill, happily wedded to his childhood sweetheart Sal, is a waterman on the River Thames. Life is tough but bearable until William makes a mistake, a bad mistake for which he and his family are made to pay dearly. His sentence: to be transported to New South Wales for the term of his natural life. Soon Thornhill, a man no better or worse than most, has to make the most difficult decision of his life . . . The Secret River is a universal and timeless story of love, identity and belonging.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: