SE1 Book Club 2017

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 4 of 6
Monday 19 June 2017 7.18am
Hi all,

see you tonight, I'll be back after two months missed...
I've not got the alphabetical 'list of us' in mind, does any of you know who is meant to bring a list of titles tonight (or to post it shortly) to vote on for the August session?
Monday 19 June 2017 7.23am
I am also coming tonight after hastily reading the book over the weekend! Not sure who's down for the book list............
Monday 19 June 2017 7.24am
Also love a pub quiz!
Tuesday 20 June 2017 7.26am
There was a small group of us yesterday and although none of us had finished reading the book, it generated some interesting discussion about nostalgia.

The book for July 17th is No1 Ladies Detective Agency The Minor Adjustment Salon.

Una is going to post here soon her book choices for the August book, so we can vote on this site.

See you in July.
Wednesday 5 July 2017 1.09pm
Hi

I will be at the Draft House tonight just after 7 to try out the quiz, feel free to come! Otherwise I will see you all at book club
Tuesday 11 July 2017 12.32pm
Hello all,

My choices are:

1) 11.22.63 by Stephen King

WHAT IF you could go back in time and change the course of history? WHAT IF the watershed moment you could change was the JFK assassination? 11.22.63, the date that Kennedy was shot - unless ...King takes his protagonist Jake Epping, a high school English teacher from Lisbon Falls, Maine, 2011, on a fascinating journey back to 1958 - from a world of mobile phones and iPods to a new world of Elvis and JFK, of Plymouth Fury cars and Lindy Hopping, of a troubled loner named Lee Harvey Oswald and a beautiful high school librarian named Sadie Dunhill, who becomes the love of Jake's life - a life that transgresses all the normal rules of time. With extraordinary imaginative power, King weaves the social, political and popular culture of his baby-boom American generation into a devastating exercise in escalating suspense.

2) Look Who's Back by Timur Vermes

Berlin, Summer 2011. Adolf Hitler wakes up on a patch of open ground, alive and well. Things have changed - no Eva Braun, no Nazi party, no war. Hitler barely recognises his beloved Fatherland, filled with immigrants and run by a woman. People certainly recognise him, albeit as a flawless impersonator who refuses to break character. The unthinkable, the inevitable happens, and the ranting Hitler goes viral, becomes a YouTube star, gets his own T.V. show, and people begin to listen. But the Fuhrer has another programme with even greater ambition - to set the country he finds a shambles back to rights. Look Who's Back stunned and then thrilled 1.5 million German readers with its fearless approach to the most taboo of subjects. Naive yet insightful, repellent yet strangely sympathetic, the revived Hitler unquestionably has a spring in his step.

3) The Assassination of Margaret Thatcher by Hilary Mantel

A brilliant – and rather transgressive – collection of short stories from the double Man Booker Prize-winning author of Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies.

Hilary Mantel is one of Britain’s most accomplished and acclaimed writers. In these ten bracingly subversive tales, all her gifts of characterisation and observation are fully engaged, summoning forth the horrors so often concealed behind everyday façades. Childhood cruelty is played out behind the bushes in ‘Comma’; nurses clash in ‘Harley Street’ over something more than professional differences; and in the title story, staying in for the plumber turns into an ambiguous and potentially deadly waiting game.

Whether set in a claustrophobic Saudi Arabian flat or on a precarious mountain road in Greece, these stories share an insight into the darkest recesses of the spirit. Displaying all of Mantel’s unmistakable style and wit, they reveal a great writer at the peak of her powers
Wednesday 12 July 2017 11.43am
Shall we vote here or wait till Monday's book club?
Jac
Thursday 13 July 2017 9.21am
Mr Jac and I will be in sheffield next week so missing BC once again.. For its worth My vote goes to 22.11.63 because the date is just a few days after i was born. Well that and it sound quite interesting and i havent read a stephen king novel in 25+ years
Friday 14 July 2017 3.41pm
My vote goes to Look who's back.
Friday 14 July 2017 4.22pm
Hi, Stephen King for me, see you on Monday.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 4 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: