SE1 Book Club 2017

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6
Friday 14 July 2017 4.34pm
NicG votes for the Stephen King too.
Friday 14 July 2017 4.37pm
Mr Jac's vote goes to Hilary Mantel.

What is it with everyone's log in?!!! ;-)
Saturday 15 July 2017 7.45am
Hi all, my vote goes to The assassination of Thatcher. See you on Monday.
Monday 17 July 2017 1.36pm
Hi

Here are my suggestions for September:

Bobby's Girl
Bernie Morris

A tragic and evocative tale, set in the heyday of rock 'n roll.

In Bernie Morris's haunting novel of adolescent love, set in the golden years of rock 'n roll, lies London East End's response to 'West Side Story'. The background is one of blitzed ruins, 'bommies', surrounding a lonely mile of The Highway that runs alongside the docks. Here, where the sense of destruction is ever present, live Kate's mother and brutal stepfather. Here Kate and Jon, two school kids deeply in love but too young to date, meet secretly. Here too lives Bobby, leader of the Alleycats, sworn enemy of the Hellcats, Kate's tender-hearted protector and Jon's rival. And always at Bobby's side is Adam, enigmatic Shadowcat, prophet, warrior and soul brother.

The Promise
Chaim Potok
Young Reuven Malter is unsure of himself and his place in life. An unconventional scholar, he struggles for recognition from his teachers. With his old friend Danny Saunders—who himself had abandoned the legacy as the chosen heir to his father's rabbinical dynasty for the uncertain life of a healer—Reuvan battles to save a sensitive boy imprisoned by his genius and rage. Painfully, triumphantly, Reuven's understanding of himself, though the boy change, as he starts to approach the peace he has long sought… (less)

The Prince of Tides

PAT CONROY has created a huge, brash thunderstorm of a novel, stinging with honesty and resounding with drama. Spanning forty years, this is the story of turbulent Tom Wingo, his gifted and troubled twin sister Savannah, and their struggle to triumph over the dark and tragic legacy of the extraordinary family into which they were born.

x
Tuesday 18 July 2017 7.31am
Hi all,

sorry I unexpectedly couldn't make it yesterday, and thanks for the update.

From the votes above I gather the winner for Monday 21st August is 11.22.1963, right?

As for September, thanks for your selection Wendy. After going from one book to another endlessly, my vote has finally landed on the Prince of Tides - contrary to my email to GrangeLady earlier, please ignore that! :-)

See you all on Monday 21st August, hopefully.
Wednesday 19 July 2017 8.55am
Yes the book for 21st August is 11.22.63 by Stephen King.

The 18th September choice is Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy

Hopefully see you all in August.
Monday 14 August 2017 10.31am
Hi all - I'd really like to join you. Assuming you're open to new members. Where do you meet and what time? Thanks.
Monday 21 August 2017 1.14pm
Hi,

I was hoping to join this group if you're accepting new members please? When and where do you meet?

Thanks,
Saidhbh
Jac
Monday 21 August 2017 1.59pm
We are always welcome to new members, just come along and introduce yourself. If your not sure who we are just ask at the bar they know us.

We are meeting tonight so do come along if you would like even if you have not read the current book.

That said I will not be there tonight for the bookclub as such but Mr jac will be and I will pop along later to join you.
Monday 21 August 2017 6.41pm
Hi all,

sorry I am stuck at work tonight and can't come. I give the Stephen King book a 6. Slow to get started but fun from page 95 or so! See you next month!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: