The Big Apple - Much Marcle

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 1 of 11
Tuesday 22 March 2005 12.34pm
I just thought I'd start a thread in the Social section about the Big Apple event over May Bank Holiday.

I'm sure Ivanhoe or Plum can post more details about the event and what plans are so far arranged.
Tuesday 22 March 2005 12.40pm
Yes please! Someone post something organised please, I'm feeling confused. I've been given a map with lots of highlighted places on it, but what is happenning in them all? I know we're heading West on the May Bank Holiday weekend to make merry and camp out and drink a gallon of cider, but what about the practical bits?

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 22 March 2005 12.42pm by The Unladylike Ms. Jo.
Tuesday 22 March 2005 12.46pm
the map I gave you was only an indication of roughly were things might happen. Nothing scientific about it at all, just highlited some names of some places near to were we intend to be.
Wednesday 23 March 2005 3.28am
Sorry Jo, figured that you'd be following the cider thread. As per Ivanhoe's friend's reccomendations, the B&Bers are definitely staying at Mainstone House (award winning breakfasts etc) with the campers just over the road at Trumpet Cross (loos, hot showers etc). Apparently, the Trumpet Inn has gone down hill a bit lately, but as you'll be joining us across the road for food etc that doesn't really matter as the B&B has glowing reports.
All I really need are numbers so that I can book. (Cider makers, country lovers in spring & those who just fancy a fun weekend welcome)

So far I have:

Mainstone House B&B:
Mr & Mrs Plum
Mr & Mrs Jon R
Juanita & Tony

Trumpet Cross Camping:
Mr & Mrs Ivanhoe
Unladylike Ms. Jo

Reckon that I need to book pretty soon as it is a Bank Hol W/E so confirmations & other interest, please say ASAP.

Should mention that we are talking about going up to Herefordshire on Sat 30th April morning & coming back on bank hol Mon 2nd May afternoon. Pub crawls in Ledbury, excellent food & fab company included.

If there is enough interest, we could hire a mini van/people carrier & share driving duties/petrol etc.
Wednesday 23 March 2005 12.26pm
Thanks Plum. I was following the thread but my brain got left behind. All is clear now though.

Is the camping literally over the rd from the B&B?
And where is the actual competition?
Wednesday 23 March 2005 4.29pm
yes Plum, put Mrs R and I down as affirmative.

hiring a large people carrier/minibus would be easier than getting trains or several cars as there would only have to be one person driving at a time (several drivers though, but taking it in turns)
Wednesday 23 March 2005 11.37pm
Yes, the camping is literally across the road. The festival & competition are in Putley a (country) mile down the road. The apple juice served at Mainstone House breakfasts is from the cider makers at Putley - yum!

As Ivanhoe has said though, there are lots of orchards & cider makers all over the area that are open to the public that weekend so we won't just be stuck in the one place all the time.
Thursday 24 March 2005 11.25am
Excellent! It will be much more fun with all of us being accomodated close by each other.
Friday 25 March 2005 5.01pm
I've spoken to John at Mainstone House and reserved the following:

Family room - Sarah2 & family (29th, 30th &1st - 70 per night)
Double Room 1 - Mr & Mrs Plum (30th & 1st - 58 p/n)
Double Room 2 - Mr & Mrs Jon R " "

There is still the 4 poster ensuite available - (80 p/n). Juanita & Tony, do you want this?

He requires a 50% deposit from each of us to keep the rooms.

If we would like, he will open the restaurant especially for all of us (campers included) for dinner on the Sunday (minimum 8 people). The empasis is on fresh local produce (and locally produced cider, beers & wines) and it is 25 per head for a 3 course meal.

PS Ivanhoe, could you bring me a copy of the "Big Apple" entry forms to the book club on the 6th? Thanks x

If I can get some numbers for the camping, I will book Trumpet Cross as well. 4.50 pp per night (toilets & showers on site included). Tharg, Ollie etc are you in?

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 25 March 2005 5.06pm by Plum.
Saturday 26 March 2005 9.21am
Thanks Plum.

We rarely get out of London and so this is a great opportunity. I am not sure how much cider other members of my family can take/drink, though they really enjoyed making it, so we may be a little semi-detached. Nice to see some others who are less cider obsessed. The cider -making day was really fun.

Sarah
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 1 of 11

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: