New Years Eve

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Tuesday 22 November 2005 12.43pm
This was mentioned on another thread.

We don't currently have plans - so what's everyone else up to?

[really small writing]
we could combine it into a kitchen warming party at our place...?
[/really small writing]

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 22 November 2005 12.44pm by JonR.
Sunday 27 November 2005 8.33pm
Think you might have to make your writing a bit bigger ...
Monday 28 November 2005 3.01pm
Ivanhoe had a good idea on Saturday - but he doesn't seem to have posted it here yet.

I'll let him put the idea forward if he wants to....
Monday 28 November 2005 4.06pm
He's a bit busy. Could you do it.

[sorry I didn't call you. bit of a mix up on Sat, and Sunday was a day of enforced quietness. give us a call tonight if you want to]

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 29 November 2005 10.11am
Well, I will be looking at the fireworks from the terrace while the Professor flies off to Hyderobad to teach a course for four months. The fact that he decided to fly on NYE is a sign of how little store he sets by these meaningful moments.
Tuesday 29 November 2005 2.06pm
ok - here goes...

Ivanhoe suggested that anyone not already doing something fantastic on New Years eve, should get together and celebrate in SE1 together.
... but to make it interesting, (and possibly funny and memorable) we should have one party/do at several different locations.

so for instance, people turn up at Mr A's house at half six and drink cocktails, and then at, say, half seven, they go down the road to Mr B's house and have crisps and dips, and then at half eight, they pop to the Such and Such for a beer, and then at half nine, over to Miss C's flat for some lasagne and mulled cider, and then maybe to Mr D's at half ten for profiteroles, and ice cream (maybe with more drink), and then somewhere else, before heading down to the river to watch the (not too loud) fireworks on the Thames, before maybe one of those 24hr pubs in SE1....

or something along those lines - obviously with this arrangement people can drop in and drop out as and when.
Anonymous User
Tuesday 29 November 2005 2.49pm
Sounds ace!

Tuesday 29 November 2005 2.51pm
You can tell that Ivanhoe has one of those navigation systems, can't you
Tuesday 29 November 2005 3.26pm
Thanks Jon

It came to me as a potentially good idea, that could combine the best bits of a houseparty with a bit of variety, and also watching the NYE fireworks from somewhere by the river, which is pretty much what I want to do on NYE.

If we're staying in London, then I'd like to make sure I spend at least some of it out and about in SE1, enjoying some of the things that make this such a great place to live in.

And the multi-venue thing was, IMHO, a way to keep things moving along, and to share the effort. It wouldn't be much effort to host a little bit of a party, and everyone generally has at least one drink/one snack that they make really well (Vodka and chips definitely count, before anyone asks). The walk between venues could be used profitably to do fun things like: the "try to tell a joke worse than one of Jon's" competition; Hot Buttered Rum/Cider pitstops; etc

Just a thought.

...if you press it, they will come.
Anonymous User
Tuesday 29 November 2005 3.36pm
Sadly I'm going to be in <gag> north London to see the New year in but I do love your plan!
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: