Cook Clubs

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 30 December 2005 10.43am
Has anybody heard of the idea of cook clubs? They are like book clubs only less boring (joke).

Unlike cookery lessons you meet up with the group as much as you like. There is no teaching per say. It does not cost hundreds of pounds, and everybody should get a fair go at cooking whatever they like.

That's right you meet say once a week a couple of people in the kitchen per turn. The rest get to be the unsuspecting guinea pigs. The only rule is the ones not doing the cooking help wash up.

Whether you want to share your masterpieces, or want to brush up on your skills it is the perfect forum for people who like to cook.

With that in mind would anybody in principle be interested in helping me form of cook club, in the London area preferably in South London? We would need at least 4-6 to make it a viable. I have managed to gain some interest with contacts from another forum and possibility of more. Most are female at the moment so it would be good to get at least one more male to even things up. If you a female you are also welcome.

I am 23 male and really enjoy cooking but have nobody try out my recipes on other than my family. I would love to try other people's recipes and be inspired. Looking for a mixed group of young adults.

Feel free to post if you are interested. Don't be shy it doesn't mean you are committed, I just want get an idea of the interest before forming. Also if you have a viable venue such as a largish kitchen please get in touch too.

If you wish to contact me directly you can at dt01pqt_pt@yahoo.com

Paul
Friday 30 December 2005 10.52am
Hi Paul,

And welcome to the forum - there may well be some interested people - see this thread from earlier in the year...

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/2/39842
Jac
Friday 30 December 2005 3.19pm
Hi Paul

Following the earlier thread that Siduhe has linked for you a few of us (at the nov 5th get together) felt we would like to get something like that of the ground and would put our minds together in the new year. so I was going to put up a similar post in a few weeks but you've beaten me too it (Iam always a bit slow and currently recovering from the christmas cook up.) We were thinking along the line of someone do main, someone starter, someone pud etc plus a host of course. There are about three of us who can host upto 10-12 people at a squeeze. Not quite sure how it would work exactly so that we all get to do our share of the cooking as well as the eating but I am sure it would be fun working it out.

So sinse Paul as put up this post if the othe others are still keen why not let us know here and perhaps we can get this thing up and running in the near future.

Just one thing though Paul you have stated you are looking for a mixed group of young adults for your club but some of us do not fit into the young catagory!
Friday 30 December 2005 7.44pm
Hi Jac,

Cool. You are a man…just checking? We are short of men, i.e I am the only one.

Starter, Main, and pud would be ideal if someone has a kitchen big enough to fit 3 people all cooking at once. When you say up to 10 people it can be less than that? It is only that if we 3 people cooking for 10 people and say 2 or more of them needs to use the oven at some point...

If you have an anonymous email I can keep you up to date with development my side. I take it you have already contacted anybody already interested in a cook club. Can you do me a favour can you PM them for me? If you want to contact me I am at dt01pqt_pt@yahoo.com.

All the people that I have got in touch are from South London. You don't have to be from South London but there is a possibility it is going to be held in South London.

Paul
Jac
Saturday 31 December 2005 10.28am
No Paul I am not a man (jac short for jacqui not to be confused with Jackie who also posts on this forum) There is also a Mr Jac & two not so mini Jacs.

I have only spoken informally to other forum members about cook club all of whom live in SE1 and have all met at one or more of the social gatherings and were of a fairly even male /female split. But that doesn't mean that the idea is only open to those we know, as we all tend to be a friendly bunch keen to meet new people especially if they live or work in SE1.

Re the kitchen situation I was thinking pud, starter would come along pretty much made although of course some finishing off may be required. The idea of getting together would be so that those who like to cook but may be put off hosting a larger dinner party due to it being too much to do the whole thing, costs, or lack of room get the chance and we have yet another excuse to get together more regularly for good food and conversation.

It doesn't have to be ten people it depends on how many people want to do it its just living in SE1 kitchens/homes tend to be fairly small and 10-12 is the most even those who have larger properties feel they could accomodate.

After the new year celebrations are over hopefully a few names will apper below and we can get together for a drink (we like to do that) and discuss how it might work.
Saturday 31 December 2005 6.25pm
I hereby confirm that Jac is not a man, neither am I, sorry. I do HAVE a man, who is presently at 36,000 feet on his way to spend a semester teaching in India. Both he and I are OLD, positively decrepit, as all the other SE1ers will verify. However, we would absolutely join this caper. I'm off now for three months, the Professor for four, but count us in on principle.
Tuesday 3 January 2006 6.26pm
I would be interested in participating and learning more .... any excuse for a drink, eh?!
Monday 16 January 2006 3.55pm
I am also up for it, as some of you know already. I can also host up until 8 people for a sitting dinner and some more in case everybody just sits anywhere.
Tuesday 17 January 2006 8.28pm
Please count me in on anything to do with food, people and SE1.
Friday 27 January 2006 12.51pm
Sounds good fun. Count me in! I think it about time I actually did fun things with people who live near me. getting friends round for a sunday roast proves difficult coaxing them from north and west...

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: