Porgy and Bess

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 29 August 2006 10.13pm
My Mum is coming up to London in November for her Birthday and wants to see PORGY AND BESS at the Savoy. It's not really my sort of thing, and I wondered if anyone here was a fan and fancied going with her... Please PM me if you fancy it.
Wednesday 30 August 2006 12.49pm
Surely you can bit the bullet and go with her, for a bit of bonding?
Wednesday 30 August 2006 2.49pm
Hi Lazy i

I would love to go being an Opera fan but I agree with Andrew. See if you can somehow go. I lost my mother years ago and I would love to have done something like that with her. Not being morbid just thinking of you.
Wednesday 4 October 2006 11.14pm
Thank you - lovely sentiments, we do lots of things together.... and we have both done a number of things which we would not normally do, and enjoyed many of them. But, in the same way I would not make her come to an R&B night, I'm pretty sure that I will not enjoy this (I have seen the film)... I will suggest she asks some other more high brow friends! Thanks.
Sunday 8 October 2006 5.31pm
From the press reports I've seen so far, this is going to be a scaled down two hours and twenty minutes musical, not the epic four hour operatic original.

http://www.porgyandbess.co.uk/about2.php

Not "highbrow" at all.
Monday 9 October 2006 9.17pm
Ok - I am going... will report back!
Sunday 26 November 2006 1.54am
This is Lazy i's Mum here. We have just come back from seeing Porgy and Bess and enjoyed the musical immensely. It was lovely that we went together and I had a not unremarkable birthday because..

When I was coming up on the train I suddenly remembered that the tickets were safely pinned on my kitchen notice board. However thanks to a kind neighbour and the wonders of electronic purchasing, I was able to get the tickets with my booking number.

On Friday night when my daughter and I were walking to meet friends at a pub, I stumbled, twised my knee, and ended up at St Thomas's hospital on the morning of my birthday. The service at the A&E on Sat morning was effecient and kind, I was impressed, and am now the proud borrower of 2 crutches. This meant that as well as getting tickets in an unorthodox way, I also had to ask for special seats to avoid walking downstairs for 75 steps at the Savoy theatre.

I was very impressed with the accents and atmospere which evoked early 20th century South Carolina's people and places. The crickets chirping realistically in the backgroud were a nice touch. Excellent costume, well detailed, and a cast of dancers and singers who strutted their stuff with joy (or grief as appropriate) and enthusiasm.

The last time I was in SE1, about a month ago,I was on the way to Charleston, SC, where the musical is set and where the theatre where it was first performed is still operating. It made this experience even more special. I am always impressed with how good British actors can be with American accents and this was no exception.

I'm a fan of SE1, too, and enjoy walking around the neighbourhoods although during this visit my view was from cabs and busses.

So thanks, babe, for coming with me, really enjoyed it and we would recommend it for people of all ages and stages. A classic.
Jac
Thursday 30 November 2006 1.25pm
So glad you had a good if eventful birthday lazyi mum and hope you are walking around unaided soon. Its nice to have some cheerful posting here too.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network