Porridge company needs a home

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 5 May 2009 3.58pm
My sister and I have an organic porridge company and thus far have been too poor to have an office. We are now selling to Waitrose and are dreaming of becoming a thriving business with a trendy workspace with young people, beanbags and 1950s furniture. For decor think Scandinavian shed meets Dorset beach hut. I have started my search for an office space near where I live in Borough and made the schoolboy error of 'registering interest' on an estate agent's website. I am now getting about 50 calls a day with people trying to get our honky tonk organic business to rent space in the gherkin. How will I ever find someone who has a scruffy on the outside, potential on the inside space to rent to us? Where do I even start? I have made a pinboard with pictures of what I dream it will be like and have been polishing mirrors to attract good fortune according to the principles of Feng Shui but I have failed. Grasshopper porridge needs a home. Help me OB1, you're my only hope.
Wednesday 6 May 2009 12.33pm
Hi,

Before I start: I work for a local Estate Agent so you may consider this advice biased, but it is honest advice.

This forum is a fair place to start, the only issue being that the specifics of what you want may be hard(er) to find here than via a local agent.

How many staff are you looking to accommodate?

I've sent you a PM regarding something we have that may be of interest to you.

Regards
Wednesday 6 May 2009 2.32pm
We need a space for 6 people. I posted as Estate agents only seem to have serviced offices with suspended ceilings which I find a bit creepy, we are looking for somewhere that is a bit of a shambles but has character and potential!
Thursday 7 May 2009 10.44am
Agents in this area mainly deal with offices that are not serviced - you may have spoken to someone like Regus who run serviced office buildings at various locations.

I think the best way to find what you are looking for would be to look at the Commercial estate agent boards in the area and give them a call.

I sent you a PM with my phone number, give me a call and I'll discuss the Weston Street office with you.

Regards
Monday 11 May 2009 3.38pm
This sounds a great venture for all porridge-lovers! There's an empty property on Borough High Street/Trinity Street corner. I have no idea what's happening with it other than that it's been empty for months. The carpet shop closed and some office furniture moved in but nothing since. It's not smart outside but has nice wood flooring and a reasonable sq footage. Worth checking out? You decide.
BTW this comes from one of those older people, not one of the young people you hope to employ - you may want to check out employment and age discrimination laws before you advertise for staff!
Monday 11 May 2009 4.24pm
Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out. When we use the word 'young' in Grasshopper world we either use it to mean 'young at heart / silly' or 'new / clueless' when used as a prefix for 'business' so it's definitely not all low-slung jeans and table football at our place don't worry!

We are actually looking to recruit a mature office manager at the mo so if you know of someone who is mature in years but not in outlook send them our way :)

Thanks for the Trinity St tip will get over there soon (on my bmx)
Monday 11 May 2009 7.03pm
This sounds a great venture for all porridge-lovers! There's an empty property on Borough High Street/Trinity Street corner. I have no idea what's happening with it other than that it's been empty for months. The carpet shop closed and some office furniture moved in but nothing since. It's not smart outside but has nice wood flooring and a reasonable sq footage. Worth checking out? You decide.
BTW this comes from one of those older people, not one of the young people you hope to employ - you may want to check out employment and age discrimination laws before you advertise for staff!
Monday 11 May 2009 7.03pm
Hi Ladies

Looked at your web-site - liked it. I have a floor just become available (seats 8-12) in my Victorian sherry warehouse in Crucifix Lane just came available - pillars, beams and slopy floors - and very cheap (I think). Currently desks not beanbags -but might suit your needs. I can send you pictures - or best come and have look.

Regards

Mark Bacon / 07967 489497
markbacon03@hotmail.com

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: