Personal Training in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 13 April 2007 8.36pm
We have just started a personal training business in SE1 and are trying to decide where to spend our limited advertising budget. Would you mind assisting us with your thoughts?

Do you think that there would be many potential personal training clients in the SE1 area that want home, office or training outdoors (along the Thames)?

If yes, what is the best way to reach them (i.e. what papers do you read or other areas you look to find local services)?

Do you know or go to any non-gym based trainers locally? Are you happy with their services? Why or why not?

Finally, we are planning to charge around 40 a session (hour long) with discounts if you buy multiple sessions - is this a reasonable price for this area?

Thank you for your thoughts.
Monday 16 April 2007 11.44am
Hi DKarzan

As someone who: a. uses a personal trainer; b. runs a local marketing agency; and c. used to work in the internal comms department for an investment bank I think I can provide some useful answers to your questions:

Quote:
Do you think that there would be many potential personal training clients in the SE1 area that want home, office or training outdoors (along the Thames)?

Absolutely! The area is full of executive flats and has several large corporates based here - indicating that there's plenty of spare cash floating around in the area for services such as yours.

Quote:
If yes, what is the best way to reach them (i.e. what papers do you read or other areas you look to find local services)?

There's a local monthly magazine, called Reach, which I write for and which is delivered to all the ABC1 homes and businesses in SE1 - you may have seen free copies in local bars. That would be a very good place to advertise. Even better if you can get some editorial coverage for your business. And not just in Reach - I'm sure the London daily papers must be looking for content all the time.

When I was looking for a personal trainer a few years ago, what really struck me was that none of them advertised online. Based on my own trainer, I'd say this is because, not being office types, trainers aren't as web-savvy as their potential clients. Given that most trainers advertise through the gyms they're based at, I think it would be imperative for a gym-less training service to have a web presence.

A very good way of drumming up services would be to build relationships with some of the larger financial type businesses in the area (Price Waterhouse and Ernst & Young spring to mind) - perhaps by offering a deal to their employees. I used to work in the employee comms team of a major investment bank in the city and businesses were always getting free publicity on the company intranet and posters in the office.

Of course, the SE1 site itself is a good port of call for local information. Get people talking in positive terms about your service and you'll open up a nice seam of business there. (But you need to be careful - they pounce on anyone who seems to be promoting a service without being open about their affiliations!)

Quote:
Do you know or go to any non-gym based trainers locally? Are you happy with their services? Why or why not? Finally, we are planning to charge around 40 a session (hour long) with discounts if you buy multiple sessions - is this a reasonable price for this area?

If I didn't have such a great relationship with my trainer I would definitely consider the service. I pay her 40 an hour, so that seems quite reasonable. That said, that money covers the rental for the gym she trains me in, so it depends on whether you'd be able to provide equipment for weights-based training.

Hope this helps. If you'd like any further help with your advertising/PR, please do get in touch. As I said, I run a small local agency that does design and copy for print and online communications - and I'm sure we could help you get the most of your advertising budget. Visit our homepage if you're interested: www.daccreative.co.uk.

Clare

www.dorisandbertie.com
Monday 16 April 2007 1.38pm
Thank you so much for your reply Clare. You have provided a lot of good thoughts and ideas.

- We have discovered REACH. It is a great magazine and have put an ad in the magazine this month. We would love to do an article, so would love to discuss this with you further.

- We do have a website - www.maxpersonaltraining.com
It would be great to get some feedback on the site if anyone has it. We haven't paid for any sponsorship on google yet - do you think that this is worthwhile?

- Great idea about going to the Comms dept. of the big corporates around here.

- I will check out your website and have a think about talking to you further.

Thank you so much for your help!
Monday 16 April 2007 2.46pm
Hi -

If you wish to join our business club, you are qualified to have a spot in our business directory. It will cost 50 plus VAT pa for a small business such as yours, and the fee qualifies you to attend our events as well.

Otherwise, Stirling Ackroyd have a magazine called Circa, which always features a page or two on the area. Call Jeanette Gibberson, who is the manager of the Borough High St branch on 020 7940 3884.

I will certainly mention this service to anyone who asks.

Best,

Giles

Giles Semper
Deputy CEO
Better Bankside
020 7928 3998
gs@betterbankside.co.uk
Tuesday 17 April 2007 6.42pm
Thank you so much Giles.

The business club sounds really good - I didn't even know it existed. We will definitely look into this.

Just a quick question - is the directory the one that is online at this site or is it some other directory?

Great idea about Circa - we will check this out too.

Thanks for all your help. Please feel free to direct people to our website if they are interested. www.maxpersonaltraining.com

Regards,
Dana

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: