Letting Agent

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 28 November 2008 10.56pm
I've got the possibility of a job abroad next year. If it comes off I need to look out for my flat and get it let. As I'm going to be out of the country it seems an agent is required. I've got a great neighbour who can keep an eye but I don't want to land him with all the work.

Can anyone recommend a good lettings agent?
Friday 5 December 2008 3.41pm
try Field and Sons, my neighbour has used them and highly recommends them. i met one of their agents as i am thinking of letting my flat and he didnt seem to be a cowboy and their terms of business are available upfront. good luck!
Monday 8 December 2008 3.21pm
Acorn is pretty good - ask for James. We used them to let our flat...they didn't actually get us a tenant in the end, we rented our place out privately, but they were really proactive and continually provide you with updates etc. Say that Jessie sent you.

Whatever you do - DON'T use Hastings in Shad Thames. They were really enthusiastic about our place and hooked us in by giving us a very unrealistic asking price. In the end I think they only managed to get us one viewing and we had to constantly chase them.

A note of caution - from our experience, it's a pretty touch market out there and the ball is definitely in the renters court. For example we had one guy that loved our place and wanted it....expect that we didn't have a gas hob so he wouldn't take it. People are just really really particular at the moment, and I guess they can be as there's a glut of property to choose from.
Saturday 10 January 2009 1.08pm

I'd highly recommend City Docklands. I used them for 2 years (2006/7) for both letting and management after i interviewed 8 or 9 other agents. Some of the other agents were very dismissive particularly about the fact that I said I didn't want students. Others wanted management fees up front etc. I finally chose City Docklands and Leonard Leese at them time as they seemed the lesser of all the evils and was immediately impressed by CD. They worked really hard at letting my flat and seemed to generate lots of interest and viewings where LL seemed much more passive e.g. in 4 days CD pushed through about 15 viewings and I had a tenant by the end whereas LL had 1 viewing in the same period. Over the 2 year period I had no problems at all with CDs service and had no gaps in tenancy at all.

I am now relocating for work again and have gone back to CD and have received excellent service again. It's only been with them for a week and I have tenants already. CD kept in touch with me all week and I'd have no problems recommending them particularly as now they take their charge monthly (something no other agents offered when I asked before).

(not an employee, no personal connection etc)
Wednesday 2 September 2009 1.25pm
In people's experience, what's the minimum these agents charge for finding tenants, collecting deposits and acting as first point of contact?
Thursday 10 September 2009 1.06am
10% plus VAT, usually upfront out of first month's rent
Tuesday 11 May 2010 3.47pm
Hi did you check Inventory Services London ?
I think that the prices for services are good :) and they are really qualified.
Hope to help you!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: