Looking after property

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 12 January 2004 4.37pm
Is anyone aware of a company that can check up on a property whilst you are away? Not a house sitter that lives there, but someone to pop in once every 1 or 2 weeks, clear the mail, water the plants, check stuff over etc. No pets to be dealt with. The property could be vacant for approx 9 months (and moving all the stuff out and getting tenants in is too much hassle, bedsides there is a 6 month minimum for a shorthold tenancy).

Yes, I know some of you will be thinking "that's what neighbours are for", but a) this is in London (so nobody knows their neighbours!); b) I was thinking of something slightly more formal rather than relying on the goodwill of neighbours. So if the squatters arrive then someone is liable!

Does such a service exist, and who provides it? A quick Google hasn't really thrown up much.

Monday 12 January 2004 4.43pm

...a friend?
Monday 12 January 2004 4.52pm

This company (Ten UK) offers 'lifestyle management and concierge' services. I know of them because their services come as part of my work's benefits package, and they do sound like the kind of thing you might need.

Whether they do house-caring (special new term I've invented) I don't know, but I'm sure they could point you in the right direction...
Monday 12 January 2004 5.42pm
These people do house-checking: http://www.busy-people.co.uk/more_info.html. I've not used them myself, but a couple of my friends have, and said they were really good.
Tuesday 13 January 2004 8.52am
Nick - if I was you I meet my neighbours p.d.q. even if you find a reputable company to carry out what you need it's no replacement for someonewho knows your face and that of your friends/family etc., and after all a company will spend no more that 30 minutes once a day at your property will they?

when I go away, one of my neighbours has my keys, checks alls well and washes up anything I happen to have left in the sink and empties the bin for me...I am so very lucky..amd I would do the same for them.

and the porcine element takes to the sky...

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: