Deposit gov guarantee

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 14 December 2008 10.06pm
we have been renting in se1 for a coupel of years (before the gov guarantee scheme)
is it possible to get the landlord to transfer to this / is there any legal way of doing this.. is he under any obligation to?
Wednesday 17 December 2008 9.01pm
No, it's required for new deposits only, I think. So short of negotiating, or quitting the tenancy and starting again, you won't be able to get your landlord onto a deposit protection scheme.
Friday 2 January 2009 1.24pm
But, I think (stress: I don't KNOW) that the act of starting a new contract when your existing one runs out will trigger the landlord's obligation to treat the deposit according to the new rules. Each new contract is a separate thing, even if the parties to it are the same.

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 2 January 2009 2.54pm
Good point, Ivanhoe. Yes, I think that's right. If the expired tenancy is allowed simply to continue on a monthly basis, the deposit would stay unprotected. If the tenancy is formally renewed for a fixed term, the protection scheme kicks in.
Sunday 18 January 2009 9.57pm
If you still need some advice on this, you might want to email They have a team that specialises in private sector housing, including housing law, and will discuss your rights, and the best way to get your deposit back if you are having difficulties.
Wednesday 21 January 2009 8.55pm
If you renewed your AST after the new law became active then your deposit is required to be placed into a deposit scheme. If your landlord has not done so within 14 days you can apply to county court for your deposit to be protected in a scheme or repayed to you at three times the amount.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network