Internal wall removal advice

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 28 May 2009 1.46pm
Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone can offer advice or brief steps on what I should do regarding some home improvement.

I am the leaseholder of a flat, 1st floor, in a Southwark council property. There's one flat above, and one below. All walls are brick or solic block, and all floors are cement, with visible vertical and horizontal support beams in many places.

A wall exists between kitchen and living room, it has a door way, and part of my plan is to remove door and also most of that wall.

My plan is:

1. Employ a Surveyor to check if the wall is a load bearing wall, they will instruct the correct method for the work.
2. Contract a builder (I already have one) to agree the work.
3. Submit a plan to Southwark Building Control, with documentation from Surveyor.

If and when Southwark agree, then my builder can start work.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of work, particularly with Southwark council properties?

Also, can anyone recommend a local surveyor?

Many thanks,


To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network