Block D Jam Factory

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 7 August 2009 7.25am
Hi I have just offered on a flat in Block D in the Jam Factory. Still having reservations, particularly after reading this site, that block D is not such a good buy given its obviously not nearly as nice as the original blocks and the developer sounds like he has been somewhat difficult? Any thoughts?
Monday 10 August 2009 7.47am
As a resident of Block A, I'd tell you that the Jam Factory is a great place to live. There's an active residents association and most people who buy there have tended to stay (we've been there 6 years).

There have been documented problems with the developer - but we are pretty much at the end of those. The residents are in the process of buying the freehold and the managing company that is place seem to getting to grips with the place.

I can't comment on Block D itself - I've not been inside the block. If it was me buying I'd double check on build quality as the flats have been empty there for quite while - I'd be getting a surveyor in if you aren't already for the mortgage. I think you have to compare Block D to other new build developments in the area rather than the other blocks.

In the end though, only you know if the decision to buy is right for you.
Monday 10 August 2009 10.42am
Thanks for your help and the advice. Just going to speak to the valuer now. I was concerned however, that the relationship between the Block A - C and the developer had broken down to the point this may affect the situation. Your response has helped.
Monday 10 August 2009 7.48pm
I have lived in The Jam Factory for 4 years and had a fantastic time. I have moved abroad and let my flat, but should I return to London, I'd go back there again. There is a remarkably strong sense of community and that, in part, accounts for the success in the battle fought with de developer.

I have seen some of the flats in Block D about 2 years ago and they are different in design and finishes, but that will also be reflected in the price, I reckon. The architect, Ian Simpson, is now one of the leading architects in the country and is currently building the Beetham Tower, if I am not mistaken.

What made The Jam Factory a particularly 'good buy' - as you put it - was that it was it was one of the first high spec developments in the the 'up and coming' Bermondsey Street area and not nearly as popular as it is now.

I cannot recommend and praise this place enough, but Tracy is very right that in the end it is all about how you feel about the place: you have to live there, after all.
Saturday 15 August 2009 6.23pm
PollyRose, I have friends who live in the Jam Factory and have nothing but praise for the community. Dunno if it helps to know that people I've spoken to there seem to be looking forward to new neighbours arriving in Block D, as well as to the completion of the new garden.

Maurits, I could be wrong but I think I read that Block D was designed by local architecht Alan Camp, not by Ian Simpson. Not suggesting that matters, just thought I'd mention it. :)
Thursday 21 October 2010 2.23pm
Hi Everybody
we are in the process of buying a flat in Block D. Hopefully everything will work out and we will be moving in few weeks time. looks like a very spirited community and can't wait to move in.
Raj

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: