Renting a room out

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 10 August 2009 9.53am
I was thinking about taking in a lodger.

preferably one who is not used to living the high-life..i.e. my staircarpet you can polish and no shower...where would be the best place to advertise and how much should i charge for a bedroom and a sitting room?

i have had loads of people staying over the years but it has always people who knew us.
Monday 10 August 2009 12.25pm
I have used www.spareroom.co.uk a couple of times, and I think most lodgers use this site so it has a wide reach. Suggest that you have a look at the site for SE1 properties to get an idea of what lodgers are looking for & what they are prepared to pay.
Monday 10 August 2009 12.40pm
Thank you Juanita...:-)
Monday 10 August 2009 4.33pm
i was a lodger until recently and found the place on gumtree.com
Monday 10 August 2009 9.44pm
I'm on lodger number 3 now in just over 3 years. First one was Italian youth brushing up on his English for a few months, 2nd was overseas student who I had to ask to leave after a few (long) months but very happy with current lodger who I found through Outlet & he will probably only leave once he's saved up enough to buy his own flat.

Outlet are very good and linked to Time Out now even though they started out as for Gay&Lesbian flatshares so most seekers and landlords on there are friendsofdorothy. Very useful to look at what else is on offer in London to get an idea of fair & realistic monthly rent for your room.

I used gumtree for the first two but had a bad experience on number 2 I made the wrong decision went against my instincts, thinking about the money and chose the wrong person.

The most important thing about having a lodger is you have to actually like them and be able to happily live with them sharing your home so please be very very careful about filtering unlikely candidates and listen to your instincts.

Almost as important is to have a signed & dated agreement confirming in writing the rent, deposit, what bills are included, one months notice required by either side, house rules... But its not a tenancy agreement, lodgers have less rights if its your home and the kitchen/bathroom are shared so they get a Licence to Occupy Agreement in which they are referred to as lodger rather than tenant and you are Licencee rather than Landlord. I didnt bother with lodger 1 but so glad I did with lodger 2 cos you never know how things will pan out.

Wireless broadband is absolutley essential for lodgers these days.

Happy sharing!
Tuesday 11 August 2009 7.37am
Thank you, oddly enough Gordon I went onto the spareroom site aand found the lodgers chose the maximum age of their potential landlord! which thinking about it is fair enough. I sent a honest mail to a young man of 25 stating whata a dump he would be moving into and surprise surprise got no response, it was only after I looked again I realised the maximum rent he would be able to pay was 187.00pw...not 87...he said he was an artist, so I thought young struggling artist etc...and he too wanted broadband!
Friday 9 October 2009 5.46pm
Hiya jan...are you still wishing to rent out your room?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: