Shad Thames

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 22 October 2009 12.52pm
Hi all

I'm thinking of buying a flat in Shad Thames. I have been doing some research and a while back there was a thread about the various developments. That was in 2005 so I hope you don't mind me asking similar questions in order to see if anything has changed/there are any new opinions.

1. Does anyone have any advice for things to watch out for when looking at flats in the area? So far the main issue I seem to see is noise (because of traffic, all the bars, etc).

2. Does anyone have any views on any of specific developments? I'm looking for something quieter if possible, which seems to suggest one of the courtyard developments.

Finally (hope I'm allowed to say this) - there's very little on the market so if anyone has a property they want to sell or knows of one, please let me know. I'm looking for a standard 1/2 bed (i.e. not something costing 1m!!).

Tuesday 3 November 2009 4.35pm
I looked around Shad Thames back in 2005 and the main problems I found were lack of light (a lot of the propoerties lower down in the blocks can be dark because of the narrow streets) and noise (from bars, rubbish collections, etc.). I ended up buying in Bermondsey in the area around Southwark Park Road where there are rows of victorian cottages!

As far as the developments are concerned, I'd want to be facing away from main roads and rubbish collections area - possible courtyard facing is a good idea - and be very careful about the level of service charge I was paying. I think the best advice is to just start looking around there yourself.

In terms of budget, I think you'll be hard pushed to find a nice 1 bed for less than 400k and a 2 bed for less than 500k and, as you say, the 'best' ones go for a lot more than that.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: