Right to Buy fiasco

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 21 March 2002 3.08pm
Has anyone managed to survive the fiasco that is known as Right to Buy? It might be our right, but they are going to make everything about it as difficult as possible to achieve.

We applied for the right to buy in January 2001 and a year later, after delay after delay, got to the stage when we could apply for a mortgage. Southwark have now had all the information they needed since the beginning of February and our solicitors are just waiting for information on the lease from them. When I telephoned the leasehold management team to find out what the situation was, I was told that our file had been lost (no apology surprise, surprise). Fortunately we have kept copies of EVERYTHING which I have had to copy back to them. We are going to have to fork out another 200 to renew our mortgage offer at the end of April (which I have told them I am going to bill them for).

They have also tried to sneak extra charges through on the services - such as garden maintenance (Devon Mansion have no gardens) and 'unspecified extras'.

If anyone has anything encouraging to report I would like to hear some good news!
Monday 25 March 2002 12.49pm
Do not apply for a mortgage yet. When the council send you the lease it will contain errors - for example the plans of your flat are likely to be wrong or may be of the lift or neighboruing building. There will be a period of delay while a new lease is made. Losing your file is in fact a routine policy, as is employing staff with no legal experience to administer your papers. There are three official periods of delay you usually need to go through - initial, operative and terminate stages of delay - before a sale will be "actioned". If you actually have a lease within 18 months you will be lucky - they often take 2 or 3 years.
Bumble Bee
Monday 25 March 2002 1.39pm
Out of interest, how much do you have to pay for Right to Buy? I saw a flat in Devon MAnsoins for sale for 200k, so even if you have to wait for 18 months you'll be assured of a handsome profit I'm sure. I bet Jan won't be getting het up about your right to buy though....
jan
Monday 25 March 2002 2.06pm
wanna bet! ;-)
Tuesday 9 April 2002 11.51am
This is not encouraging, I and a friend are applying for right to buy. We've had the price back and I'm making plans to visit lenders to talk about mortgages.

Bryon - Is the delay after you've signed that you want to claim your right to buy? and Isn't there someone senior who you can take your case to?
Tuesday 9 April 2002 1.47pm
There doesn't seem to be anyone senior at Southwark as everyone is 'acting' this that or the other. I think my bombardment of them with telephone calls, letters, faxes etc has finally had some sort of result and our case has now been passed to the legal department and from now on they will only speak to our solicitors.

The delays seem to happen at every stage, Tizzy, don't forget to stick to their timetables and send in Notices of Delay if they go past the dates they are suppose to respond within.

The good news though is that the discount you get from the council will act as your deposit for the mortgage, which we didn't know when we applied.

Good luck!!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: