Building Management Company

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
LouiseW Thursday 21 January 2010 6.57pm
I live in a block of flats in SE1 and we have a terrible management company. The residents have recently got together to form an association and we are now considering replacing the management company with another one. Has anyone done this who can give us advice? Equally can anyone recomend a good residential building management company - we have about 100 flats in ours - or are they all as bad as each other? Thanks
urbanite Friday 22 January 2010 8.55am
It seems that many are just as bad as each other....very few people have good things to say about theirs. That said, and depending on how your leases are set up, a strong residents management group can ensure things are much better run than just leaving stuff to the Managing Agent to organise unsupervised. If you want any more advice feel free to PM me.
AlpineKing Monday 25 January 2010 4.36pm
I live in the Alaska Buildings on Grange Road and we had the same problems with our managing agents who were truly awful. A new management company has been set up by a couple of our residents to manage our estate and they are now signing up some others in the area.

They are called Managed Living Partnerships and their website is www.managedliving.co.uk. Given them a try, we have found them to be thorough, communicative, cost conscious and responsive.
GaryWM Monday 22 August 2011 2.03pm
I just wanted to refresh this topic as it's been a while and see if anyone has any recommendations for a very strong mangement company? Ideally a locally based one. In the case of the above, Mangaged Living, does anyone have subsequent comments on their services?

Thanks,

Gary
Pen Wednesday 7 September 2011 11.10pm
Hi Gary,

I live with in Tanners Yard on Long Lane and I'm on the residents committee. Managed Living have been our managing agents for over a year now and they do a great job.

Both Nigel and Richard are very personable and professional and their costs are reasonable. I would definitely recommend them as would our committee.
LouiseW Tuesday 13 September 2011 11.57am
Just to update you - we employed Chainbow in the end as our management company and although there have been some improvements, the costs are still sky high and they are far from as wonderful as they made out to be. Lots more to do before we could really recommend them.
Tosh Monday 26 September 2011 8.11pm
We are a block of ~20 flats, and we own our own freehold, so have good control over charges.

In the past 10 years we'e been through 4 different managing agents. Now on our 5th.

We appointed Stonedale a few years ago as they were a smallish company, but they were then rapidly swallowed up by bigger entities.

However, they have made efforts to maintain their brand of Stonedale, and from our point of view provide a reasonably efficient and responsive service.

In my experience this is about as good as it gets!

Happy to answer any question off forum.

Tosh
Sunseeker Wednesday 5 October 2011 5.26pm
Managed Living took over managing the block I live in about two years ago. When they wrote to residents to introduce themselves they said they had a different approach and from my experience they do.

My service charges have gone down and whenever I have contacted them with issues they have proved both efficient and pleasant - in marked cotrast to the previous Managing Agent.
Jerry Wednesday 4 January 2012 3.01pm
I would like to say Stonedale utterly failed to live up to their promising start in my experience Tosh, I would advise you to check your accounts are properly independently audited and delivered to you on time as any delay will cause endless problems further down the line. This advice holds for all dealings with Management Companies and/or Freeholders.
Teimoor Thursday 26 April 2012 4.59pm
Hi,
Fairly new to the site. I must say it makes for an interesting read.

The question of a "good" managing agent is an eternal one, and one that is quite subjective.
"Good" applies to one site and not necessarilly another and there is always the element of cognitive dissonance.

In my experience theres a few key factors to look out for when looking for any management company... wont go into it right now ...

Ive been working in this industry for more than a few years now. I cannot stress strongly enough the importance of customer relations and skills for a managing agent. I have found So many are unhelpful and unnecessarilly rude!
Anyways... I am not a salesman hence will not mention my company's name, but I am IRPM Qualified and an estate manager. If ANYONE here would like absolutely no string advise on selecting a managing agent or managing agent related queries I am most happy to help. What I wont do (I dont feel it ethical) is recommend or not recommend a company Feel free to PM me but I do work till late many a day.... just a disclaimer!

I certainly hope you read this in the spirit of which it is written.
I will be browsing through the rest of the forum to offer any advise I can.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions