Advice on letting your own property

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 9 February 2010 3.41pm

I'm looking to rent my flat on Bath Terrace while I go travelling, and am considering doing it myself instead of going through an agent. I was hoping for some advice on this, and what (apart from finding tenants!) I'd need to do.

Many thanks in advance.
Tuesday 16 February 2010 5.06pm
Hi Ceirios,
i can recommend The Residential Landlord Association.

They were charging (for an individual) 75.00 per year to join and they will supply everything you need to rent out your flat yourself. That is the Tenancy Agreement, legal help over the telephone, all the latest compliance for a landlord that you have to do etc.
You can find them at
i used them and it made the whole process very easy for me as i too did it myself.

Good Luck
Thursday 18 February 2010 4.49pm
hi there, even if i dont like using agents, they managed to let my flat in 3 weeks while when i tried to do it myself, it took 2 months before i found a tenant.
NLA is very good but they won't let the property for you.
i would also say, if you use an agent, dont let them manage it. that can cause alot of headache if you disagree on the expenses.
good luck
Friday 30 April 2010 12.34pm
A forum with other UK landlords where practical issues are discussed is
Friday 30 April 2010 2.22pm
You can do it yourself but you need to be very organised. If you're going travelling then my advice is don't do it yourself, unless you can get someone you trust 100% to look after it. I have flats I let through an agent and one I do myself. It can be a lot of work but I only live round the corner so it's OK.

RLA are very good - they have links to reference agencies you can use and you can download standard letting documentd from them.
Wednesday 5 May 2010 5.53pm
we travelled for a year, and got an agent to find us a tennat, and collect rent. We had a relative living nearby who did all the other 'management' of the property for us, and who was first point of contact in emergencies (which there were none).

The agency were great, and found a tenant quickly, and arranged it for a fixed 12 month term contract, so that we'd still get the full rental for 12 months should the tennant decided to leave early. They collected the rent, which paid for our mortgage, and only had one problem when the first payment was a day late, which had repurcusions, missed mortgage payments etc.

our tennants liked the place so much, they wanted to stay on after we'd come back.

If you have someone you trust to be a first point of call, then there's no point paying extra money to the agent to act as a mnangement.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: