Advice needed on my Landlord

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 16 February 2010 3.04pm
Can anyone advise me on my Landlord, he only gave me one weeks notice that builders were coming to fit a new kitchen and it would take 4 days, 7 days later the builders are still there and plan to be for another few more days. Not only have they taken over the kitchen which is out of use but also my living room by storing the new cabinets, paint, tiles and worktops in there, so overall I have lost the use of two rooms. Is the Landlord obliged to reduce my rent for this building period? and who is going to clean up all the dust off my furniture, kitchen goods and every surface in the whole flat? I doubt the landlord will.

Laura
Thursday 18 February 2010 9.20am
Have you read through your lease to see what rights you and your landlord have?
Thursday 18 February 2010 4.51pm
hi there, i would deduct the unusable space from the rent and cleaning costs as well.
it is unfair you have to cope with this and pay the same rent. is there a letting agent? or does the landlord manage it direct?
Saturday 20 February 2010 3.11pm
Hi Lolo

Yes there is a letting agent and they will not return my calls to give me any advice. The builders finally left after 10 days, i tried to negotiate a reduction in rent with my landlord and now he is kicking me out! We had stern words after he turned up at my flat unannounced (again) and i ended up locking myself in my bedroom until he left as he was screaming and shouting at me, this has happened before. I am spending the whole weekend cleaning and washing every item i own as every room is covered in dust. So, thanks for your advice but by trying to stand up for my rights i have to now find somewhere else to live.

Laura
Sunday 21 February 2010 2.58am
Dont worry all will sort it self out, probably better not being in a property with a landlord like that! whos the agent?
Sunday 21 February 2010 6.36pm
The agent is Leonard Leese in Borough, in the past they have been good with advice but not on this occassion. Thanks everyone for your posts :-)

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: