Shad Thames - Providence Square any good?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 16 March 2011 10.42pm
I have been reading through the earlier threads and found some of the comments really helpful.

I am currently looking to buy a 2 bedroom flat in Shad Thames and found the ground floor flats at Providence Square (with the wooden pontoons) really attractive.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice or comments about them?
Or does anyone feel I should definitely look at other buildings instead?

Thursday 14 July 2011 11.51am

I currently live in Providence Square and can happily say we're moving out at the end of the month. We have a 2-bedroom (not one of the ground floor ones next to the pond though).

The reasons we are leaving are due to work issues and not related to the complex itself but I've listed some pros and cons of living in Providence Square so you can decide for yourself.

1. Doormen allow any package you receive to be stored
2. Secure gated entrance
3. Yes, the pontoon ground floors are nice
4. Location is nice since it is just far away from the tourists and a short walk to many restaurants5.
5. Easy access to free and other events in More London and the scoop.
6. M&S at More London is open until 9 or 10 every night (but be careful, as all the cashiers are sexist)!
7. Many flats have a designated parking space.
8. Easy to find a pub nearby.
9. Excellent for access to the London marathon, esp near Tower Bridge.
10. Great view and easy access to riverwalk and jogging.

1. Difficult to get food delivery since there are several entrances they could use
2. Although gated, there are lots of issues with theft and breakins. Twice thieves tried to steal our bikes and one time one of the doormen chased them away but the risk is always there, and not all of the doormen do that.
3. A bit of a walk to nearest tube (Bermondsey) vs. other flats.
4. The electronic swipe card used to enter and exit the security gates needs to be recharged at the main entrance regularly and usually the doormen are very abrasive when you request this...don't know why but they are.
5. Lots of restaurants close by but many are terrible with terrible service, e.g., Constancia, Browns, Pizza Express , All Bar One , and Horniman are all places we avoid like the plague. Also, due to the proximity to Tower Bridge and tourist sites, portions are definitely smaller for the same meal in other parts of London.
6. Weekends and evenings can be stressful, when trying to avoid tourists, especially in the Shad Thames area and the riverwalk.
7. If you like chinese or Indian food, unfortunately, there are no good eat-in places -- a few reasonable delivery/takeaway places though.
8. Neighbours don't seem to be friendly with each other so no community feel.
9. There is lots of turnover at Providence Square so you won't have much control who or how loud your neighbours are. (We have a beighbour that goes into tantrums every week or so and screams at the top of his lungs in a language we're glad we don't understand)
10. Walking to London Bridge is frustrating again because of the tourist issue, esp. near London Dungeon.
11. No access to taxi stand unless you call ahead (important for going to the airport)
12. Bermondsey tube is closer than London Bridge but it is on the Jubilee line which has among the worst service on the tube, with closures and delays many weekends.
13. There is a cat that doesn't seem to have an owner that will follow you to your door. I am allergic so I find this very annoying because it seems to live at Providence Square. It will block the road so you have to look for it all the time when you park your car.
14. Some of the doormen and management are very anal and like to feel more important by being abusive.
15. Bike rack is completely insufficient for that many residents.
16. Not a short walk to any gym.

If you need more info, send me a message and I will tell you more.

Thanks and good luck!
Tuesday 26 July 2011 5.31pm
I've lived in Providence Square for several years in one of the flats surrounding the water garden and recommend it as a great place to live. It's a tranquil location with just enough distance from the Tower Bridge tourist zone and there are added benefits of secure off-street parking, on-site gym for residents and amazing waterside views.

I've not had any problems with deliveries (there are two main entrances for deliveries)or visitors popping by as the concierge is manned 24 hours a day by professional and friendly staff. If there are any problems the day-staff are always happy to help with and follow up on queries. There is also an active residents association.

Unfortunately bicycle theft is a common problem, however there are proposals to increase bike storage racks.

There are many local amenities nearby including Southwark Park,the Thames Path and a Saturday foodie market just minutes away in nearby railway arches, which makes it an interesting place to live!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: