Too good to be true scam or real offer?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 13 June 2011 4.23pm
Hi guys!

I actually intend to move to London by the mid-August and I already started looking for some flatsharing there.

I posted an ad on the gumtree website (check it out here: and quite soon I had a couple of replies, including that one, which looks definitely too good to be true. Please, could you read our emails exchange and perhaps give me your opinion about a possible scam? Or do you really think I may get such a nice flat in Covent Gardens for 500/month?

Here are our mails:
"Reply to your add. I have an accommodation that suit your requirement. Kindly reply for further information.

[I ask her some extra information, then she replies]

The following are the basic details you need to know about the flat Endell Street, Covent Garden, London, WC2H 9RJ.
Rent: 500.00 Per Month. 400 refundable security deposit)
Utility bills inclusive (water, gas, council tax, TV license and wireless Internet)
Home amenities includes - Washer/Dryer, Dishwasher,Microwave, Storage, cable, phone

Moreover, the flat is fully furnished and equipped with all necessary house facilities also benefits a secured parking space but i can make it unfurnished if prefer. How many months do you intend to rent and do you have a reference in London?

Kindly reply for further information.

Mrs *****

[I then ask her for some pics, the flat looks really nice.. then we keep talking]

Thanks for your reply. The flat is a 3 separate bedrooms while you'll be sharing it with 2 young female professional in their early 20's. The living room is shared as well while you'll have the bedroom and bathroom to your self. Kindly get back to me in order to proceed with the necessities.

I told her that I was interested, now waiting for reply.

In your opinion, does it look genuine?

Thanks in advance! :)
Tuesday 28 June 2011 1.19pm
I vote scam.

Take it as far are you want, but don't give them any money.

Friday 1 July 2011 2.27pm
It sounds like someone is trying to rent a bedroom in an HMO. Is that what you want?
Wednesday 13 July 2011 7.55pm
Square metres
Basement flat, +/- windows, +/- view
Next to something smelly, noisy?
What are other rooms going for in the area?

Just as a guide, I live in a 1 bed flat in Camberwell (not for rent but just to give you a feeling of what you get), c70m2, I think the monthly rental would be 1100. Its about 3 miles from Cov Garden. In town I'd expect to pay c1500-2000/ week in the centre.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: