Southwark Council regen glaziers

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 13 July 2011 7.43pm
Dear All

if one is a Southwark Council tenant and has had major regen works done on their property of the last year or two which included installation of double glazing, would you be able to tell me the name of the glazier.

They were probably subcontracted by a middle man, but as the council are dragging their feet over some works to my property, I'd like to get my windows done while the weather is forgiving.

Also by going difrect to glazier, I won't have to pay both the council and the middle man's admin and profit fees on top of the glaziers. For this reason I feel neither the councvil, nor the middle man (contractor) are likely to give me the info.

Many thanks

Friday 15 July 2011 12.04am
A while back (10 years ago), i had my double glazing carried out by a company called 'Makers' but i don't think Southwark use them anymore, you could try who i know have in the last 5 years carried out major regen work in and around Elephant & Castle.
Good luck, i know someone had to pay 16k for a 2 bed, well above the average.
Friday 15 July 2011 12.06am
Just seen this, maybe of interest...
Friday 15 July 2011 4.12pm
Thanks for that. But they seem like middlemen to me not glaziers ie they would commission a glazier for the double glazing, not make the units themselves. I'm after the glazier rather than the subcontractor.
Friday 15 July 2011 10.06pm
I got you, its a tough one, as appollo subcontractor the work to various smaller organisations.

You could try finding out where in Southwark Apollo are currently working on decent homes projects and visiting the building/area to see if you can spot any glaziers / vans.

I doubt the council know, even if they did, they wouldn't tell you, and very much doubt Apollo would give you the information either.
Tuesday 26 July 2011 8.19pm
If you do this, be very careful that you won't subsequently have to pay the council's costs to replace the windows.

In general you will still be liable for your share of window replacement costs for your block, even if you've already paid privately for your own windows.
Thursday 25 August 2011 3.00pm

If you've bought your flat and are a leaseholder from the council, then they are responsible for the upkeep of the windows and not you.

This is because the windows in a council flat (and the front door) count as part of the fabric of the building (just like the walls or roof).

If you get the windows done yourself then the council are completely within their rights to get those windows taken out and have their own windows put in - and to charge you for the cost of doing this.

Because the council are responsible for the windows then they can demand they're all the same because they're responsible for any repairs etc to the windows in the block. (so all the spare parts etc are identical and they can get hold of them)

Window repairs need to be done by properly certified people (FENSA, I think) to meet building regulations. Too many people who buy council flats get all manner of 'improvements' done by jobbing builders/ mates who don't know what they're doing and cause all manner of problems.

Also you shouldn't do any significant DIY work - certainly not as significant as window replacement - without getting the council's permission.

I don't want to sound painfully bureaucratic, but the danger is you could get a bill for thousands for the council and you'd have to pay it.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network