Hot water pressure is much higher than cold

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 19 August 2011 1.53pm
Hi everyone!

Moved to the area about 1 month ago, to the ex-local council flat, so the heating and hot water are centralised, but the situation with hot/cold water is starting to really annoy me.
Well... the pressure of hot water is about 3 times higher than cold water (can you imagine this in the UK haha) so it's getting quite hard to have a decent shower, because I have to fully open cold water tap and just a tiny bit of hot water, so the overall pressure is almost as low as cold water and if you open hot water tap a bit more the mixed stream becomes unbearably hot.

I've searched for the main cold/hot taps in my flat and the cold water tap is fully opened.

So... the question. What should I do or whom should I call?

Friday 19 August 2011 2.09pm
If you have a combi boiler then it uses cold water direct from the mains. The cold water in the kitchen also comes direct from the mains, whereas in the bathroom the cold water probably comes from a storage tank on the roof so the cold water pressure in the bathroom is likely to be much lower than the kitchen cold pressure..
Saturday 10 January 2015 8.59am
Hi Gudwin,

When you refer to centralised heating, I assume you mean district heating that covers the whole building/estate?

Do you have a hot water cylinder and cold water tank or just a cold water tank? I am assuming that there is no such pressure/flow difference At The Kitchen tap?

It is possible that your bath is fed with cold from a tank and with hot from an unvented system. This will create a big pressure mismatch on the hot side. That being the case the obvious solution is to ask the landlord to replumb the system so the bath is fed from the mains. You could also ask them to install something like a wondervalve - - at the bathroom hot tap to reduce the flow (or get it installed yourself). This might mean you need to get a couple of cartridges and test them out and find which one works best at getting the flow down to a manageable level.

It is also possible that there is a valve or suchlike on the bath cold supply that is set very low for some reason. If you have a cold tank see if you can trace the pipe from the tank and find a stopcock on it that is downstream of there the supply to the hot cylinder comes off.
Wednesday 21 January 2015 11.40am
This is an extinct post that Heihachi has hijacked for spam Search Engine Optimisation by putting in unrelated links in his signature. We need to be aware of and REPORT these as if spammers find this to be an "easy" forum it may get inundated by irrelevant spam (which I think James is already doing an amazing job at fighting).

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: