Major Works to Aylesford House

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 20 April 2012 12.27pm
Hi there

I am currently considering buying an ex-council flat in Aylesford House in Hankey Place. However I have a couple of questions. I have tried to call Southwark Council but they are extremely unhelpful!

Firstly, does anyone know about any pending works to Aylesford? In Hankey Place both Medway House and Strood House have both clearly had major renovation work done to the facade whereas Aylesford looks relatively tired. Obviously I would like Aylesford to be given a similar makeover. I have been informed however that Southwark Council are quite random with their renovations!

Secondly, if such renovations do take place, does anyone have any idea of the extent of liability private leaseholders would have? I have been suggested around 5,000 by the estate agent. Would this be accurate?

Thanks for any help in advance

Richard
Friday 20 April 2012 9.42pm
Investigate and get things in writing re major works before you buy. I have experienced major works and 25,000 is nearer the mark . Do not listen to the estate agent unless he is happy to pay half of your costs re major works. Good luck.
Tuesday 4 September 2012 8.09pm
I live in Medway House, and we had major works done 3 years ago. We got a new roof, new windows, new front entrance doors, new communal cold water storage tank, new electrical wiring and external decoration. Cost me 21 000 for the privilege. Mind you, Aylesford House have already had a new roof, new windows, electrical rewiring and cold water storage tank some years back, so it shouldn't cost you anywhere near what we paid. Good luck!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: