Southwark Council Major Works

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 1 May 2012 12.53am
Hi everybody,

A bit of a long shot and I understand answers will have to be taken with a pinch of salt but...

I am looking to buy a flat in block for which Southwark Council are the freeholders. Major works are planned in 2012/13 to include a new roof, concrete repair, brickwork repair, possible asphalt to balconies and lateral mains.

As yet the council don't have any estimated costs for this work.

Has anybody else recently experienced this type of work to give me a bit of an idea about costs.

The flat is in a block of 30 so i realise the costs will be split between the leaseholders, sometimes unevenly depending on the relative sizes of the flats. I am also aware of the section 20 consultation process, so I know estimates will be supplied in due course.

However some kind of a ball park figure before deciding whether or not to continue with the sale would be useful. At the moment I don't even know if my part of the bill will be nearer 1k or 10k!

Many thanks!
Tuesday 8 May 2012 3.05pm
Assume towards the higher end of that bill, I'd say. New windows plus concrete work etc etc on our block came to something like 20k per leaseholder. (my lease was very young, so was exempt from paying the full charge, hence not being sure)

I would be very, very wary about buying before having at least an official estimate as you could be nastily burned and until you have that you and the vendor will have no basis on which to reach a consensus.
Tuesday 8 May 2012 8.59pm
Thanks ever so much for you reply. Still trying to get as much info together as possible, but from what I've heard from others 20k up is looking extremely likely :s

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: