Southwark Leaseholder obtains major works refund

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 13 August 2012 10.15pm
Offham House is on the borders of SE1/SE17 off the Old Kent Road. If you are a leaseholder in this block or on the Congreve Estate you may like to contact me to find out more information as I have just obtained a refund of 1,800++ from Southwark Council for major works overcharged. Just on our block the overcharge was 53,000. I want to let all leaseholders know because I doubt that the council will be refunding everyone who paid this, probably only those that get onto them about it! I don't represent any company, I am just a leaseholder who kept on and on at the Council until I got the information needed and was then able to prove the incorrect charge.
Tuesday 14 August 2012 8.36am
I'd be interested in finding out more on this. There are major works planned on the Arnold Estate in 2014 and I'd like to be on top of everything as we go through the consultation/ charging processes....
Tuesday 8 January 2013 9.58pm
Hi i was just wondering if you had heard anything about the major works planned for Arnold Est as i am planning on looking into the right to buy. Any advice or costs you have been given would be appreciated. also PM'ed you hey_arnold
Tuesday 8 January 2013 11.37pm
Actually I am Lambeth Borough leaseholder. Freeholder recently became Watmos Housing Association on Ethelred Estate SE11. Big major works could be coming over a 5 year programme. Does anyone know if the North Lambeth Leaseholders Association - was and may still be chaired by Steve Rice? Or any other support organisation not localised to a particular estate?
Wednesday 9 January 2013 6.37pm
Hey_Arnold, we had major works done in our building two years ago and the initial spend of 1.5m ended up 2m but it's not just the cost you need to watch. Right from the start, you need to record all discussions and get them agreed by the major works team because 'offers' will be made and then withdrawn, and you will need proof if contesting things in the future. One of the things I wish I had done as a leaseholder was to get a written, signed agreement on the condition my property would be left in when work was completed, right down to re-decoration of any disturbed area. I would have also demanded a work schedule for my own flat because I ended up having to let people into my flat at odd times to do a few minutes work here and there over a long period of time. We also 'clubbed' together and paid for an independent survey to make sure that all the work that was being identified actually needed doing, it didn't throw up much, except that it identified that not much pointing needed doing to brick work. Finally, you will need to do your own snagging because your standards will be higher than the councils, and the contractors will cut as many costs as possibly, and this is usually done by getting workers in and out of your property as quickly as possible who then don't do as good a job as they could. Sorry to sound so negative, but we did have quite a negative experience in my block of flats - the tenants suffering even more than leaseholders as they had more work done on the interior of their property.
Thursday 5 February 2015 6.12pm
Hello, I have only just discovered this very useful forum. Please I will like to have more information about how you got this refund, my block has very recently had some major works & i ended up with a unjustifiable 17k bill.

Many thanks
Saturday 16 May 2015 6.36am
Hi,
Can anyone give me advice on how to get the major works refund or challenge the costs?
My mum is a leaseholder in Southwark, they recently charged 37,000 to put in double glazing, paint and do some minor works at the front. Then they sent another letter adding an additional 4000 to the costs.
My mum has been ill with cancer prior to this happening and has no money to pay this or even strength to fight these charges, I am trying to sort it out as much as possible but I am unsure of the procedures.
I would be so grateful for any advice that you can provide me with.
Thank you so much
Saturday 16 May 2015 1.01pm
The first thing is to gather together all the information that has been sent to you regarding the major works - this may have been over a number of months or even years. Read it through carefully and note what work they are intending to do. If the work has already been done, you need to check it to ensure it all looks OK. You may not be an expert, but just use common sense.

Run through their calculations - does it add up, have they included something twice in error (I find this a common mistake). Have you been charged for work to leaseholders flats?

If you can find no fault and the charge seems to be due, then contact Southwark Council and discuss financing arrangements. If you do nothing they can start charging you fines so you should contact them and come to an agreement over payment.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: