Getting permission to work on a building's stack pipe

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 14 August 2012 10.04am
I own an ex-council flat where the previous owner replaced the small bath with a shower.

Rather than drill a new, lower down hole in the stack for the shower tray, he raised the shower tray. He said this was done as a new hole could shatter a 30 year old copper stack. The result is that an elderly person cannot step up or down from the shower.

I'd like to lower the tray and perhaps replace my section with a plastic stack and so allow a new lower drain pipe and therefore lower the shower tray.

Has anyone had experience in speaking to the council about this? I'm on the top floor so it could not cause any backup from a property above me.
Saturday 20 October 2012 6.20pm
I was in a similar situation a few months ago. I decided not to contact the council as I felt it was ambiguous under my long lease whether I was allowed to fiddle with the pipe myself.

In the end the plumber used an angle grinder to cut out a section of the old steel pipe and replace it with a modern plastic section that could easily have the appropriate fitting for a shower tray added. Total cost was about 70 and all works fine now.

I subsequently found out that the council had done something identical to a stack next door when it had become blocked (and they were only able to fix the problem by cutting a section out and replacing with a plastic section).

However before you do any work make sure your plumber is qualified and insured and that your own contents\third party property owners liability insurance is up to date (this is separate to the freeholders insurance).

Perhaps also get the view of a couple of experienced plumbers and see whether they both recommend the same course of action.
Friday 26 October 2012 6.58pm
Thanks johnfromlondon

My own plumber, a nice guy, recommended from here is still reluctant to work on a stack in a shared block of flats.

If you had a plumber recommendation, it'd love to get this job done.

Cheers

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: