Tenancy problem/advice needed

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 6 April 2013 9.28pm
I'm seeking advice on the following:
I'm a local private tenant sharing a property with 3 others.Recently one tenant moved out. One person in the property has their name on the tenancy agreement. Their efforts to replace the tenant have been slow and poorly organised, advertising on Gumtree a week before the old tenant made their last payment.I was told the tenancy holder and the other tenant were looking after the situation. I offered help to advertise but since they were both longstanding tenants, and pals, they didn't take me up on my offer. Both these tenants have just muted the rent will increase for all, if no new tenant arrives in the immediate future. I have made contact with the landlady on two occasions to warn her about the growing scramble to acquire a new tenant, and their outrageous assumption that I am responsible for a room I don't live in. The landlady is a fair and intelligent person, whom i'm counting on. However, the unnecessary stress arising makes me wonder how best to put a stop to this (of course moving out is next as far as i'm concerned but it wont happen instantly). Are there issues of harassment here? There is nothing signed by the other tenants, as only one person has their name on the agreement. In my case i've paid for my room without failure over a two year period.
Tuesday 30 April 2013 7.42pm
Very sorry to hear of your problems with your tenants...
I work for an agency and they advise on issues such as this.
Before you go forward and make another commitment elsewhere make sure you complete your research into the property, the landlords and tenant history of the property you are renting.
Let hindsight help and not deter you again.

All the best!

Natalie G.
Thursday 2 May 2013 10.58am
If only one tenant has their name on the tenancy agreement, then only one tenant is responsible for any shortfall in the rent.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: