Leaseholders Association of Southwark

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 2 February 2014 9.40pm
I recently became a leaseholder on a Southwark Council flat. Does anyone know of any leaseholder groups worth joining? I would prefer to sort it out now in case I ever need advice in future, rather than waiting til a problem arises.

I see in the past there have been references to Leaseholders Association of Southwark, however many of the links to it are now dead...
Tuesday 11 February 2014 12.32pm
Hi,

The Leaseholder Association of Southwark does still exisit I believe, but I've not had any personal experience. It as it only has a postal address (no phone/ website)- has anyone else?

There is also the Homeowners' council, which sounds interested, though I am a little wary as it's funded by the council. Pls find the details below (next meeting 26th March).

There are 1000's of leaseholders in Southwark so I am surprised there is not a more visible, independant body, not just providing advise, but pushing for reform together. I hope I'm wrong- have I've missed it?!

I have included a summary of useful organisations I've found so far.

INFORMATION

LEASE (Leasehold Advisory Service)
020 7383 9800
http://www.lease-advice.org/
This is government funded body which offers free advice on leasehold (Landlord and Tenant) law. You can access their website to see a number of publications dealing with specific leasehold issues, or contact them direct (see below). LEASE also offers training in leasehold matters.

Citizens Advice Bureau- Southwark leaseholders
020 7237 9532
leasehold@southwarkcabservice.org.uk
Southwark Citizens Advice Bureaux (CAB) are running a scheme (funded by Southwark Council) where they will provide independent advice for leaseholders within the borough.

INDEPENDENT TRIBUNAL (for challenging charges)
First-tier Tribunal (Property Chamber)
- previously called Leasehold Valuation Tribunal.
The Property Chamber deals with a wide range of applications, appeals and references relating to disputes over property and land. It brings together Rent Assessment Committees, Leasehold Valuation Tribunals, Residential Property Tribunals, Rent Tribunals, Agricultural Land Tribunals and the jurisdiction of the Adjudicator to HM Land Registry.

LEASEHOLDER ORGANISATIONS

Leasehold Knowledge Partnership
http://www.leaseholdknowledge.com/tag/southwark-borough-council

The Campaign Against Retirement Leasehold Exploitation (Carlex)
http://www.carlex.org.uk/
The Campaign Against Retirement Leasehold Exploitation (Carlex) aims to protect the old and vulnerable from being cheated by landlords and their agents.

Leaseholder Association of Southwark 2000 (LAS 2000)
An independent body of leaseholders of Southwark Council properties who are represented on the Executive and are able to give advice on leasehold matters.
Membership costs 12 per year.
P.O. Box 23394
London
SE16 2WA.

Homeowner Council
The Homeowner Council is an elected body of leaseholders, which meets regularly with councillors and officers to discuss issues affecting Southwark leaseholders. The representatives are elected through Southwark's area housing forums, which are made up of representatives of each area's Tenant and Resident Associations.

The homeowners' council meets eight to ten times per year unless a special meeting is required to discuss emergency items.

Homeowners' council meetings are open to the public and all homeowners are welcome to attend the meeting as observers.

Listed below are the dates of future meetings. Meetings are held at 160 Tooley Street SE1 2TZ. Please note that dates and venue may change and we advise that you check this page before attending a meeting.

*26th March 2014 - This will be held at Queens Road Peckham at 7pm
* 23rd April 2014 at 7pm
* 28th May Annual General Meeting at 7pm
Tuesday 11 February 2014 1.10pm
That's extremely thorough and very helpful. Thank you!
Tuesday 21 October 2014 1.42pm
Hi Graeme48,

There is an independent group called the Leaseholders Association of Southwark (LAS2000) that is run by local authority leaseholders for local authority leaseholders. They have a new website www.las2000.org and you can email them at contact@las2000.org. Membership is now 15 per year.

They also have a new Facebook page las2000.

You can also attend Homeowner Council meetings at Tooley Street as an observer. Next one is 19th Nov 2014.

Hope that helps!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: