Central London rent with a view?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 6 March 2014 10.29pm
Hi all,

I used to live in London, but circumstances dictated that I had to move back out a couple of years ago, now in Watford :-( . I have been studying while I work for 3.5 years, and if all goes to plan by the end of this year will be earning a healthy salary.
This will seem daft to many, but my main prerequisite in looking for a place is that I have a view of central London landmarks, pref Canary Wharf/ Shard/ O2/ London Eye. I have my own personal/ sentimental reasons for this so please don't judge!
I will be working in Sunbury-on-Thames area (I know, horrible commute).
I would like an allocated space for my rarely-driven little 2 seater (will happily compromise on this for the right place).
I would like a balcony/ large windows to take in the view.
I would like a 1-bed flat/ apartment, not a maisonette.
I am aware that rent will be £££PCM for the above, prices sub £1250PCM would be nice- I know Im probably dreaming.
Any advice on where to start looking, areas to look into or useful people to talk to would be greatly appreciated.
I also realise this isn't strictly an 'SE1' question, so apologies in advance if I upset anyone!

Regards,

David
Friday 7 March 2014 8.23am
Welcome, David.

. You've identified three areas there: Docklands, North Greenwich and SE1. Of the three, SE1 is the best, but is expensive. I don't think you'll get simultaneous views of all the landmarks you mention, unless you live in the Shard itself, so I'll assume you'd be happy with just one landmark, at least for now.

. Waterloo would be handy for you because it fulfils two of your criteria (obviously depending where in Waterloo you end up): view of London Eye and easy access to Waterloo station for trains to Sunbury. However - and I'm not well "up" on private sector rent - I suspect you might struggle to get a view of the Eye, and therefore the Thames, for your £1250 budget.

Instead, a view of the Shard is more affordable. Try and look at the area within 3/4 mile of Waterloo so that you have an easy commute. Even with awful London rents, your budget, I think, will get you something decent.

The area is teeming with estate agents. I'm sure you'll find something on Right Move or one of the portal sites.

Good luck with your search.
Friday 7 March 2014 11.23pm
Gavin,

Thanks for your very useful response- exactly the kind of constructive feedback I came here for!
Ive had a brief browse on Rightmove, and one area which has provided properties with 'a view of the city', allocated (some underground) parking and a balcony for sub £1250PCM is Deptford. My concern is that Ive barely even heard of the area despite its very central location. Any advice on this?
One example Ive seen in the Deptford area below, nice new(ish) build with gym and concierge:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-43272454.html

Ill follow Gavin's advice on searching and crack on. Anyone else who'd like to chip in is more than welcome. :-)
Saturday 8 March 2014 12.10pm
Zoopla has fewer properties but does allow keyword search so you can try "roof" or "terrace" or "balcony" or even "eye."
Sunday 9 March 2014 9.55am
David, deptford is on the "up", but still has some way to go, in my opinion. That said, property wise, you'll get more bang for your buck, but will have to endure a bit of an awkward to commute to work in Sunbury. There's a good train service to London Bridge, Waterloo East and Charing Cross from New Cross, which i think it takes about six minutes, to London Bridge. The docklands Light Railway is also close by.

Depending on where in Deptford it is - I assume it's somewhere up near "Deptford Bridge" - I'm not sure there will be a city view. It's close to Greenwich and the Cutty Sark, so plenty to do.

In conclusion, not quite the glamour of SE1 or the other areas you've identified, but you'll probably get a bigger/nicer flat than you would get for the same money elsewhere.
Wednesday 14 May 2014 11.32am
Hi,

Are you still looking to rent?

I have a 1 bedroom flat with Westminster/Waterloo views available. It is located on the Elephant and Castle roundabout next to the Strata building.

Send me an e-mail (bertramdranreb@gmail.com) if you are interested in arranging a viewing.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: