Condensation damp - how have you resolved this?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 26 June 2014 9.45am
Scene: Two people living in a comparative newbuild (2006-ish). Black mould developing on wooden window frames in the sitting/living/kitchen, and tiny bedroom.
Black mould making an appearance visually and smellily in a corner (on two walls) behind a telly (not pushed right up against the walls)in the sitting/living/kitchen.
No outside space to dry/air clothes.
Cause is definitely condensation. But how do I eradicate it? Is it even possible to do so?
I've read lots and lots of stuff on the net about causes and the need to air the rooms but nowhere have I read a story of successful treatment.
I'm concerned that if there is mould now (a dry June), it will be worse in winter.
Has anyone tackled this and found a sure-fire fix?
Wednesday 23 July 2014 4.32pm
Condensation is a big problem for a lot of people and the easiest advise is to say to people 'make sure there's plenty of ventilation' - as this blows the water vapour away.

Not always tremendously helpful to have a window open in the middle of winter when you're paying a fortune to heat the flat.

Condensation (and mould) will happen in the coldest and least well ventilated bits of the flat. So if you're in an old flat and put a cupboard against a cold outside wall, don't be surprised if there's mould behind it. But it's clear you get that.

The other great way to stop condensation is to limit and ventilate activities that make steam/water vapour.
So if you're having a shower, make sure you do it with the bathroom door closed if you've got an extractor in the bathroom.

Likewise when you're cooking, use an extractor fan.

Drying clothes is often a problem. It might be, again, that doing this in a bathroom with an extractor might help.

Most of the time condensation isn't caused by a building problem, but how you live your life in the flat.

Here's the advice from the National House Builders Council,31929,en.pdf

Some new homes can have structural problems - though design issues that lead to condensation are more common in older homes - such as 60s council homes where you get a thing called Cold Bridging (where you get condensation along the coldest corners by the concrete frame of the building).

If you're looking to stop the mould then regular wiping with a bleachy cloth can help to keep it under control.

Lots of very general advice, I know, but hopefully it's vaguely useful.
Tuesday 29 July 2014 10.06pm
Totally agree with JPM, had the same issues in my very small ex local authority flat. A dehumidifier helps when there is no other solution (e.g. winter) - not the most environmentally friendly solution though...
Sunday 31 August 2014 2.12pm
Same issues but in our bedroom. We're on the ground floor so impossible to air it other than when we're awake & in the flat. Am sure the issue is condensation build up - however, we never dry washing etc - but seems to have got much worse recently. Anyone know of any companies that could help? Inserting trickle vents seems a start.
Tuesday 2 September 2014 10.42am
Nickyjapan, try using a dehumidifier they are about 90 it will extract the moist from the atmosphere and the walls which should minimise the possibility of damp. Leave it on over night and you will get a full bucket of water the next day.

Also try and leave your door open when you are sleeping a good circulation of air within the property will definitely help.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: