Permission for alterations to a leasehold property frustrations!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
Saturday 9 January 2016 6.41pm
PRLeaseh wrote:
Internomer, did the council ever chase you up on these alterations? I am in the same situation at the moment and desperate to start renovations. The flat was is in a poor state and most fixtures need repair or replacement before its comfortable to live in. When the council eventually inspected your alterations how much were you billed for, if at all?

A year on and we've still not heard directly from the council. We've spoken to the housing officer for our estate and she's tried to push things on from her end, but it seems the whole office is dealing with an enormous (and increasing) backlog that they just don't have the resources to get through.

From talking to the housing officer it looks like we may end up paying a few hundred pounds in fees due to it being retrospective permission - something we assumed going in, and are more than happy to pay. Much better than still having the awful kitchen and bathroom!

Hope that helps
Saturday 9 January 2016 6.54pm
Thanks for replying so quickly! So did you have to withdraw your original application and submit a new one for retrospective consent? But after all this time, they still haven't bothered to inspect or even get in touch?

The cost for retrospective consent is 376.00 which is worth paying not to have to wait OVER a year! I did enquire about this although they did say if there were any alterations they weren't happy with I would have to put them back to the original.

Thanks!
Saturday 9 January 2016 6.57pm
Still haven't dealt with it formally, this is just from talking to the housing officer. As far as I know we still have an open application.
Monday 27 June 2016 6.35am
Sorry to bring the topic up again, but I was wondering if there's any formal development on your situation Internomer, because it seems like we're currently in a similar one. I just don't want to have problems in the future and am a bit scared to act on my own. However, I want to finish the flat renovation before September so I'm really trying to come up with a good solution to it all.

I work in a move out cleaning company in London, I collect cats and actively hate cleaning. I'm always right.
Monday 27 June 2016 8.54am
No worries at all, I'm happy to share my (ongoing) experience.

In February we were contacted by the council and were told we need to apply for retrospective permission. We replied objecting to the large retrospective permission fee and asked whether there was any ability for this fee to be reduced given the exceptional delays on the Council's end. We were told that our concerns would be passed on to a manager.

We've not heard anything since then. As far as we're aware, our application is still open and unresolved. I'll try to ensure I update this thread if/when this is resolved.

Sorry it's not better news! We're now up to 20 months since initial permission was requested and the situation is still unresolved!
Monday 27 June 2016 12.56pm
I've just been told that it's likely we'll need to pay the retrospective permission fee regardless. The Council has apparently launched an online process for applications, available at:

https://forms.southwark.gov.uk/ShowForm.asp?fm_fid=1447

No idea how effectively this will streamline the permissions process, nor how quickly they're getting through the backlog. Hope that helps.
Tuesday 28 June 2016 11.02am
Oh, great! At least it'll be more convenient now, haha! Hope I won't have to wait two years for a resolution on the matter. Anyways, I decided to go for it. No point in waiting.
Thanks, Internomer :)
Friday 17 March 2017 6.20pm
Is council consent getting any worse? Being a good girl, I thought I would ask for consent before doing any work at all. So I requested consent to replace like for like kitchen and bathroom fittings but the council replied that we need to provide a full itemisation of works and supporting documents (quotes etc.) and details of the contractors completing the works. I am not intending of doing the whole work straight away as I was only at the planning stage. I thought with consent delays it would be better to get consent for all the works we wanted done in the flat, even if the works would take time to start. Seems like we need to get everything ready and then ask the Council for consent...
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: