Flat next to rail tracks

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 17 January 2015 1.33am
Hello! I'm new. Please be nice!
We're considering buying a property situated very close (a narrow road's distance) to the raised track line running through London Bridge. It's on the third floor so around the same height as the tracks.
We've actually seen three properties all with this 'feature' in a week, so it's obviously not unusual.
Does anyone have experience of living in, or trying to sell, such a property? The flat is new build so the noise - even at commuter hour - is only nominal and I do not believe the trains run at night, plus there is a lot of natural light in the flat. But, of course, we do not know how likely we are to be awoken by a horn at 5am, how easy it is to live with when the windows are open in summer, or how much longer it might take to sell on. Not everyone will be keen!
We love the flat and location and obviously the price reflects this downfall, but this is - literally - keeping me awake at night!
I'd be so grateful for your thoughts.
With thanks.
Saturday 17 January 2015 5.44pm
New developments built on small parcels of land next to the many railway lines in SE1 have become a feature as the last bit of profit is squeezed out of available land by developers.

I think you have worked out the potential disadvantages of buying such a property for yourself! I have a friend who lives in a house adjacent to the line into Cannon Street, normally fairly quiet at night, but he has noticed a marked (and very intrusive) increase of commuter trains rumbling past his place between midnight and 2am. This is presumably the result of the works at London Bridge station, which have caused chaos to the timetable recently and are scheduled to continue for another 12-15 months. You should check the current train traffic over 24 hours if possible, but bear in mind this pattern will change once those works are complete.
Sunday 18 January 2015 9.42am
Thanks very much for your comments. A few of the flats we've seen / are aware of are new, another two are a little older.
I suppose it's really the resale point we're concerned about most.
Will keep pondering!
Monday 19 January 2015 10.58am
Hi Leeny,

I used to live 3 floors above to a train line here in SE1 (E&C).

It's not only the noise issue during keeping your windows open in summer which you might want to reconsider. It is also the point of engineering work during Easter and Christmas holidays when there will be noise 24/7. That point I found difficult to cope with.
Only stayed in that flat for one year (as a tenant) never to move to a train line flat again if I can avoid it.
Now living at a busy road, finding this easier.

Hope that maintenance work point is of help.
Best of luck.
Monday 19 January 2015 12.58pm
Julia T wrote:
It is also the point of engineering work during Easter and Christmas holidays when there will be noise 24/7. That point I found difficult to cope with.

Good point. There's also the likelihood that flood lights will be used. Not an attractive prospect.
Monday 19 January 2015 1.32pm
Hey! I live in a block on Tanner St overlooking the train tracks on the 4th floor and have had minimal issues with the trains to date. Most modern flats are very well soundproofed so it's fine for 3/4 of the year and then over the Summer months we often sit on our balcony and gradually get used to it. As you mention this is reflected in the price of the flats so without this Iím not sure I could afford to live in this area so Iím happy with the compromiseÖthis is central London after all!
Thursday 22 January 2015 10.23pm
Hi I live in a flat "by the tracks" on Redcross Way, Borough, SE1 and have done so for 12 years. OK I only rent my apartment but my bedroom is at the front of the property and I can honestly say I am not at all bothered by the trains going in and out of London Bridge Station, in fact quite the opposite, I am sort of comforted by the trains going past especially at night when falling asleep... but I am a city person and thrive on hustle and bustle as opposed to quiet suburban/rural locations. If you are buying in this location you must ask yourself are you a "city person"? Borough is just a fantastic place to live with its Market and central location. Don't worry about the selling aspect of your property because it's a very vibrant area and people will always want to live here - and I am not an Estate Agent! Good Luck!
Thursday 22 January 2015 11.18pm
Thanks so much everyone for your responses! Lots to chew over and we can see pros and cons, but ultimately we think that we'll go for it!
Thanks again.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: