Airbnb my new flat?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Wednesday 11 February 2015 10.21am
Hello,
I've recently bought a flat in Falcon Point on Hopton St.

Can anyone tell me if theres a problem with putting it up for holiday lets on Airbnb?

Rus
Wednesday 11 February 2015 11.32am
You'll annoy your neighbours by letting tourists into a residential block, is a good reason IMHO. Not exactly off to a good start with them.
Thursday 12 February 2015 8.56am
Sure, you're right. But I obviously don't care about them. If it is legal, I will do it.
Thursday 12 February 2015 10.33am
russellc wrote:
Sure, you're right. But I obviously don't care about them. If it is legal, I will do it.

Charming comment re your neighbours.

You are more likely to get an answer to your query by approaching the freeholder or managing agents, if there are any. I may be mistaken but I think Falcon Point is a local authority block. If so, approach the council.
Thursday 12 February 2015 3.38pm
Thanks for the info janefs,

I'm just being honest as it would be totally hypocritical to claim that I did care while letting it out to tourists anyway.
Thursday 12 February 2015 6.54pm
Not legal I'm afraid. You need permission from L B Southwark to use the flat for AirBnB type lets. This is nothing to do with the lease. I applies to all residential property.
Zoe
Thursday 12 February 2015 7.48pm
It's two different permissions, from planning and the council as freeholder, particularly if you are letting the whole flat.

Word to the wise, Falcon Point is a TMO, which means they are much more likely to notice and take action over illegal usage than the council might.
Thursday 12 February 2015 11.00pm
boroughbloke wrote:
Not legal I'm afraid. You need permission from L B Southwark to use the flat for AirBnB type lets. This is nothing to do with the lease. I applies to all residential property.

Hi boroughbloke and Zoe, thanks for your responses,

i just checked today with Falcon Point Management Group who manage the building and they've confirmed it is allowed, though they 'discourage it' which in effect means there's nothing they can legally do to prevent it.
Zoe
Thursday 12 February 2015 11.15pm
I would suggest you get that in writing from the homeownership team, as while it's unlikely they will take action, you are likely to need some sort of permission (and anti-social behaviour from tenants increases that possibility, which is more likely with short term lets, hence why your neighbours might not be happy). You may also still need planning permission, as letting the whole flat is more likely to be treated as holiday accommodation, which has different rules.
Thursday 12 February 2015 11.18pm
Thanks Zoe,

Planning permission from whom? I thought PP was only related to making a structural or physical alteration to a property?
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: